View Poll Results: Using the Magazine as a Monopod--Is It Harmful??

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it is fine to use the mag as a monopod

65 79.27%
  • Yes, it is harmful

3 3.66%
  • I don't know

4 4.88%
  • I don't care

10 12.20%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Using the Magazine as a Monopod----Is It Harmful???

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    No it isn’t harmful.

My reasoning is because it isn’t harmful.
    This is the answer. The thread should have been locked after this post.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    An acquaintance was telling me that the institutional resistance to monopoding comes from the use of the M-14, which, due to the magazine and magazine lockup design, would jam if the magazine was allowed to rest on the ground. That training continued forward--good habits adapted to the wrong gear often do in big organizations--into the era of the M16 series of weapons.

In my agency, I got yelled at for having my rifle magazine resting on the deck during qualification. The lead instructor is a salty old marine, and he claimed that the weapon would jam that way.
    Gotta love salty old dudes and they’re wisdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Doesn't work as well with a 20rd mag!

As long as the weapon is resting on the mag it isn't an issue. I wouldn't lean on it though, just let it be a monopod.

When I zero I use a sandbag and keep it as close to the mag well as possible without contacting the mag itself. That way the "pressure" (basically just the weight of the weapon itself) is as close to the midline as possible, i.e. not way out on the barrel so flex is kept to a minimum.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 03-01-19 at 19:01.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Back around 2010, I went through the Army's Designated Marksman course in preparation for a deployment to Afghanistan. It was two weeks long (ten actual days on the range), being out there from about 0800 to 1630 everyday. We were specifically taught to either press the magazine into the dirt or into a sandbag/shooters bag. Between your shoulder, your two elbows and the magazine, you now had four points (five if you count your face along the stock) to help stabilize the weapon. In all the shooting we did (and there were about 30 of us), no malfunctions occurred due to the magazine resting on the ground or bag. As a matter of fact, I can't remember any weapon malfunctions at all during the course.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    +1 for "never caused me any problems"
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234