Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: First AR. Questions about sights, optics, and magazines

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Or get a blemished Advanced RDS when Primary Arms runs a sale on them.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    No need to replace lower if it works. Get Iron sights and shoot them for a couple months, then buy yourself a cheap RDS to learn what you like. You listed god ones, I would add Sig Romeo to the list of cheap good RDS

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I would learn irons before u learn red dots. Always should know how to shoot on your irons incase optic fails. And no huge difference between gen 2s and 3s. I use mostly 2s

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Preach.

I wonder how many dudes have an all set up internet-approved carbine in a safe but don't even carry a quality CCW piece or practice with it.
    This is old but man this rings true across the entire gun community. Sometimes hanging out with guys who train a lot and can shoot seems to help me forget 99% of the other guys (or whatever the percentage is) who shoot paper from a bench 2-3 times a year and worse than that who don’t even dry fire on a regular basis. I’ve built AR’s for several guys and aside from taking them out to a range to verify function and zero haven’t seen nor heard of them wanting to go to the range since. I’ve pretty much isolated myself from them because all the “Come and Take It” talk doesn’t bear up with their actions, or more accurately put - lack of action and I get sick of all the talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    This discussion seems to have gone a little sideways, but still very interesting. I agree that the percentage of people on this forum who have ever had to use an AR in a combat situation is probably pretty small. And almost all of those individuals presumably used what they were issued by the Army, Marines, etc. For those guys, who are carrying their guns 24/7 in the snow, rain, sand, mud, etc. and whose life depends on their functioning reliability is obviously paramount.

Then there will be a group of people who are recreational shooters, but who go to the range all the time. I probably put 7-8,000 rounds downrange a years I guess I fall into this category. But my rifles are generally either in the safe or being used at the range, primarily from a covered shooting position. They are not really subjected to a lot of abuse. But because I shoot a lot, I can tell the difference between a stock trigger and a Geisselle trigger, or a cheap optic and a high quality one. And I need a gun that can hold up to a bunch of rounds being put through it. Also, my kids are all grown now, so I have some disposable income and can afford a high quality rifle with an Eotech/Aimpoint. But if I couldn't I would have no problem using a Primary Arms micro dot (I actually own one).

Finally, there are those guys who simply want a decent AR for home defense and the occasional trip to the range. If we're being honest, a KAC with a high dollar scope is way more gun than someone like that needs. If you've got a ton of money ... go for it. But I'd rather see that guy buy a mid-tier rifle, a value oriented scope, and a bunch of ammo.
    Last edited by cosmo223; 08-13-19 at 19:09.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456