Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First AR. Questions about sights, optics, and magazines

Feedback Score

First AR. Questions about sights, optics, and magazines

Finishing up my first AR build. Aero lower with BCM LPK. Complete 14.5 midlength BCM upper with Midwest industries ssk12 rail.

Few questions I need advice on.

1. I am new to AR platform and rifles in general. Right now I have no sights. Since I am new is it better to a) buy a cheap RDS to practice on like a holosun/primary arms or b) buy a set of BUIS like the Magpul pros to learn on irons before any optics at all?

3. Should I get gen 2 or gen 3 pmags? Any major advantage to the gen 3? I will probably one day replace the aero lower with a BCM lower and use this lower on another build and I heard gen 3s may not work well with the BCM lower.

Thanks and pics for attention.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Welcome to the world of AR's! If you are new to rifles and shooting in general, most traditionalists would likely recommend learning on a set of iron sights. This is a fundamental skill that will serve you well with many rifles. However, a red dot sight is a joy to use and is super simple for one getting started or for the pros. You can invest lots of money in a high-end red dot like an Aimpoint that works great and is bombproof, but you can buy something at a small fraction of the cost like a Primary Arms for less than $90. See: https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...ble-base-gen-2 . I have purchased both and use both. If I knew I was going to be deployed for 6 months and carrying the rifle every day, I'd prefer the Aimpoint, but realistically, the Primary Arms will hold up great. Use the price difference to buy ammo and train. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Get a quality set of irons and shoot that until you have the cash for a quality red dot.

Cheap red dots will fail. Or just randomly shift so you dont know if your shooting is to blame or the optic. (Yes, quality optics can fail also).

Good choice on the BCM upper and lpk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    There's no reason to have to learn irons first; however, you're better off putting a set of quality irons on the gun than a cheap optic for the same money. I'd buy good irons (the Magpuls you mentioned are fine) and save for an Aimpoint PRO. I wouldn't worry too much about PMAG generation; both run fine. I've got no experience with the BCM lower/Gen 3 potential issue. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with good GI mags w/anti-tilt (Magpul) followers. These are my preference, honestly, due to the general ease in which they stow and slide in/out of pouches.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jec1521 View Post
    1. I am new to AR platform and rifles in general. Right now I have no sights. Since I am new is it better to a) buy a cheap RDS to practice on like a holosun/primary arms or b) buy a set of BUIS like the Magpul pros to learn on irons before any optics at all?
    I would go right to the RDS and get a middle-of-the road one to start.

I don't know your age, but some older shooters have trouble with the dot flaring because of presbyopia. If that is the case an etched reticle optic may be a good choice. I have several. I prefer the Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism for an un-magnified optic - the DRT reticle is less cluttered and more user friendly than others I have. At $199.99 here, you wont break the bank: https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...a-reticle.html

If you have good, young eyes the Aimpoint PRO is still a solid choice. They generally go between 400.00 and 450.50ish, this seems to be a good enough deal: https://www.skdtac.com/Aimpoint-PRO-...-p/aim.310.htm

Another option is a LPVO (Low Power Variable Optic) scope. Generally 1 to 4 or 1.5 to 6 power. Generally with an illuminated reticle. At 1 power you are right in RDS territory, and of course, at higher magnification you have the increased precision that a magnified optic offers. A good, for the money, entry level IMO is the Burris MTA 1-4: https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...scope-1-4x24mm I prefer the Ballistic AR reticle, I have the Ballistic CQ reticle in an AR332 3X Prism and don't like it near as well as my MTAC with AR.

I'd go optic over iron sights first if you can afford it. In your second question you talk about building another. This is one of the reasons that I use middle-of-the-road optics on my range AR's - you end up with 6 or 7 in the safe and it gets pretty rough going out $600 plus on optics for range rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by jec1521 View Post
    3. Should I get gen 2 or gen 3 pmags? Any major advantage to the gen 3? I will probably one day replace the aero lower with a BCM lower and use this lower on another build and I heard gen 3s may not work well with the BCM lower.
    Generally, you can get quality USGI mags for a couple bucks cheaper than Magpuls and not have the problem.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Don’t over look the polymer magpul mbus sights. They have been proven time and time again to be durable and consistent. They are affordable lightweight and dependable, I never hesitate to recommend them.

Feedback Score
    I was in your shoes three years ago and spent two years with irons and still love them. I have a prism sight and a red dot but still like irons better. The basic mag is a USGI. That would be an aluminium USGI. They just snap in and feel like,...... like,.............like victory! Get at least one so you will know how the baseline feels and works and then branch out into other mags.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerDerv View Post
    Don’t over look the polymer magpul mbus sights. They have been proven time and time again to be durable and consistent. They are affordable lightweight and dependable, I never hesitate to recommend them.
    Durable maybe. Consistent, no- at least not in my experience.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wouldn't waste time or money buying anything cheap. I don't understand the logic of buying cheap optics and parts "until you can buy better" which seems really common.

Anyway, you didn't mention a budget so I'll go low. Get a set of Daniel Defense fixed irons and an Aimpoint PRO. That's about as cheap and durable as you can get.

Unless of course you want to do your own research, go put eyes on optics in stores, etc. and decide for yourself. Just stick with normal grade stuff like Aimpoint, EOTech, etc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerDerv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Durable maybe. Consistent, no- at least not in my experience.
    I just this week bought a set of steel flip-up sights from Aero Precision for well under $100 shipped. My third set & theyve been excelllent. Id never use poly sights.
    Its hard to go against guys like 26Inf & others here who really know their shit. I may/may not be older than he or the others, but I think us older dudes are generally gonna recommend sights first, then optic, cause its what we were brought up on, long before Rd's existed..they work, they've won multiple wars, and are rock solid reliable & dependable. Admittedly, I do not have anywhere near the time behind quality RD's as many here do.
    But as for me & my house, Id never own a rifle w/o irons...Im building a 20" precision type gun now that'll have them.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 02-28-19 at 06:37.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast