Thread: Storing bulk ammo in plastic bags + ammo can?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Storing bulk ammo in plastic bags + ammo can?

Hey guys, I searched but couldn't find anything specific to my question.

I recently got some .357 Magnum ammo out of an ammo can to check the load data I wrote on the box (been 5 years since I loaded that caliber and wanted to double check), and I noticed every round in the plastic tray that touched the cardboard box had a moderate amount of corrosion.

I reuse the 20 round XM193 brown boxes for my 5.56 reloads and I was worried the few thousand I had stashed might suffer the same fate as my .357 ammo.

99% of my 5.56 had no signs of corrosion but I figured just to be safe I would lose the cardboard.

I'm thinking of just buying a bunch of MTM boxes but as of right now I have the 5.56 dumped approx 550 to a freezer bag per 30 cal can with some desiccant.

Any issue with just keeping in the freezer bags and cans? No issues just have bulk ammo dumped in a new plastic bag like that? Condensation buildup, etc?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've used ziplock freezer bags inside GI cans to store reloads and surplus ammo for quite some time. Some of my stuff has been stored like that for 10+ years. I've never seen any evidence of corrosion using this method.

HOWEVER...It's pretty dry here in general, and I do run a dehumidifier in my storage area during the summer. If you have high humidity in your area, your results may vary.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Storing bulk ammo in plastic bags + ammo can?

No problems with that. Most of .223 plinking ammo I reload is stored exactly like that, some for years. My better quality reloads I store in plastic cartridge boxes inside metal or plastic ammo cans with the o-ring seal.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 02-28-19 at 20:35.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Cardboard can retain a lot of moisture, good idea to remove them for long term storage.

I ruined some good hand tools when I used felt to line some tool drawers in a damp shop. Every tool rusted on the side that was contacting the felt.

Some desiccant like silica packs or even just some rice in a paper bag can help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bb223 View Post
    ... as of right now I have the 5.56 dumped approx 550 to a freezer bag per 30 cal can with some desiccant.

Any issue with just keeping in the freezer bags and cans? No issues just have bulk ammo dumped in a new plastic bag like that? Condensation buildup, etc?
    I don't see a problem with this, but make sure the dessicant is inside the bag, with the ammo, right?

Also, you might use VCI tabs along with dessicant.

My ammo is either in the original packaging, or it's in MTM boxes (reloads). I store my ammo in the house (in my home office) because I'm in a damp climate.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
    I ruined some good hand tools when I used felt to line some tool drawers in a damp shop. Every tool rusted on the side that was contacting the felt.
    VCI drawer liners are nice, too... I run dehumidifiers in my garage, but even so, sometimes they can barely keep up.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I don't see a problem with this, but make sure the dessicant is inside the bag, with the ammo, right?
    The bag is open and just lining the can, the packs are on the edges of it.

Should I put them in the bag though?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have had ammo stored in plastic bags for a lengthy period of time (3-4+ years), both in ammo cans and outside of cans, with ZERO issues at all. My basement is not ultra "dry" and I live in the Midwest where there are frequent temperature and moisture changes. It works well enough I haven't bothered using VCI or desiccant, although it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Feedback Score
    I buy the crystal kitty litter put a cup or two in an old sock and place in my ammo cans for long term storage.

Feedback Score
    here's how i store my bulk ammo.

if you have a Food Saver, take your ammo, still in boxes, and arrange them in the storage bags. place a small desicant pack in with the ammo on the end. Vaccum seal the bags so the ammo lays flat. the boxes compress down and the ammo forms up nice and tite. now you can stack these easier and they take up less space. trim ends if you don't want excess bag. now your ammo is protected from moisture