Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Search and Assess

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Sadly, there can’t be a uniform answer. Some people have more RAM than others and, conversely, some people have too little to handle all that needs to be processed in such a short time and spit out a good solution. That’s why, unfortunately, some of it needs to get dumbed down when dealing with a large variation of guys. Some guys are simply “better-brained” and will Scan and Assess and move on while the dumbest guy in the stack is still vapor locked. If there isn’t some type of training as to what we’d like to see done post-shooting, some guys will just stand there... no move, no communicate.
    Yep, you have to have somewhere to start from, thus they need to understand (and buy into) fundamental principles. One way to insert the RAM needed to is to attach the desired response to an emotionally charged situation. This is the basis of reality-based training. I think it is also important to understand that many of the officers/folks we training using strictly square range techniques will not devote any mental or physical rehearsal time on techniques. One of the best things we can do for them is to ingrain the techniques as I mentioned above.

This from from Ken Murray, author of Training At The Speed of Life and, as far as I'm concerned THE expert on reality-based training.

One of my instructors, Tygh Thompson from Oregon, told me about this study. Here's how he explained it:

"The aircraft simulators these days are extremely sophisticated. They have actual instrumentation, movement, sound and amazingly realistic graphics. Pilots who have been in these simulators really believe they were "there" during these simulations.

"Because of the cost of running these simulators, trainers used to stop the scenarios after the pilots successfully overcame whatever crisis they were exposed to. It seemed logical the pilot had performed well during the critical phase of the emergency and the emergency was over, so what was the point of continuing beyond that?

"In subsequent actual in-flight emergencies, pilots who had been through this type of training reported something strange happening. They would do well throughout the actual emergency, and then have problems with what should be the easy part landing the plane.

"This really baffled the people who designed the scenarios, but it makes sense. We know that after making it through a life-threatening encounter where the sympathetic nervous system has been activated, there is going to be some parasympathetic backlash. In the minds of the pilots, the emergency was over, but in reality, it was not. They still had to get all those passengers safely on the ground. Suffering from the effects of the parasympathetic nervous system, they were now less able to perform routine tasks or effectively engage in rational problem solving.

"As a result, critical incident simulations have now been extended so the pilot does not successfully complete the training scenario until he actually lands the plane. Changing the natural conclusion of the scenario to include the landing seems to have solved the problem, and excellent reports are now coming back from the field.

"It's amazing how one or two small changes to a realistic training program, such as determining what a safe, natural conclusion should be, makes an exponential difference to the quality of a response during a critical incident. Who knew?"

This is something I wrote based on an article in a training magazine:

In a strictly law enforcement related example, range officers from the REDACTED Police Department noted that officers involved in shootings were failing to do routine tasks which increased their safety. Officers were reported to have completely forgotten to contact dispatch regarding their emergency situation. Several officers were reportedly found at the scene of OIS’s with an empty weapon they had neglected to reload.

Aware of this problem, the range staff designed a format to be followed at the completion of tactical shooting drills which involved the officer ensuring their initial
    safety, reloading the weapon and making a radio transmission. Shortly after this training began several officers who had received the training were involved in shootings and performed as they had practiced.

(the rest of the handout goes over how we were going to implement 'landing the plane' during training on out use-of-force simulators)
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-08-19 at 00:00.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Yep, you have to have somewhere to start from, thus they need to understand (and buy into) fundamental principles. One way to insert the RAM needed to is to attach the desired response to an emotionally charged situation. This is the basis of reality-based training. I think it is also important to understand that many of the officers/folks we training using strictly square range techniques will not devote any mental or physical rehearsal time on techniques. One of the best things we can do for them is to ingrain the techniques as I mentioned above.

This from from Ken Murray, author of Training At The Speed of Life and, as far as I'm concerned THE expert on reality-based training.

One of my instructors, Tygh Thompson from Oregon, told me about this study. Here's how he explained it:

"The aircraft simulators these days are extremely sophisticated. They have actual instrumentation, movement, sound and amazingly realistic graphics. Pilots who have been in these simulators really believe they were "there" during these simulations.

"Because of the cost of running these simulators, trainers used to stop the scenarios after the pilots successfully overcame whatever crisis they were exposed to. It seemed logical the pilot had performed well during the critical phase of the emergency and the emergency was over, so what was the point of continuing beyond that?

"In subsequent actual in-flight emergencies, pilots who had been through this type of training reported something strange happening. They would do well throughout the actual emergency, and then have problems with what should be the easy part landing the plane.

"This really baffled the people who designed the scenarios, but it makes sense. We know that after making it through a life-threatening encounter where the sympathetic nervous system has been activated, there is going to be some parasympathetic backlash. In the minds of the pilots, the emergency was over, but in reality, it was not. They still had to get all those passengers safely on the ground. Suffering from the effects of the parasympathetic nervous system, they were now less able to perform routine tasks or effectively engage in rational problem solving.

"As a result, critical incident simulations have now been extended so the pilot does not successfully complete the training scenario until he actually lands the plane. Changing the natural conclusion of the scenario to include the landing seems to have solved the problem, and excellent reports are now coming back from the field.

"It's amazing how one or two small changes to a realistic training program, such as determining what a safe, natural conclusion should be, makes an exponential difference to the quality of a response during a critical incident. Who knew?"

This is something I wrote based on an article in a training magazine:

In a strictly law enforcement related example, range officers from the REDACTED Police Department noted that officers involved in shootings were failing to do routine tasks which increased their safety. Officers were reported to have completely forgotten to contact dispatch regarding their emergency situation. Several officers were reportedly found at the scene of OIS’s with an empty weapon they had neglected to reload.

Aware of this problem, the range staff designed a format to be followed at the completion of tactical shooting drills which involved the officer ensuring their initial
    safety, reloading the weapon and making a radio transmission. Shortly after this training began several officers who had received the training were involved in shootings and performed as they had practiced.

(the rest of the handout goes over how we were going to implement 'landing the plane' during training on out use-of-force simulators)
    That seems like a pretty good analogy. I think (based on my own learning from this discussion) it should be clarified, however, that "landing the plane" in our context needs to be defined in somewhat general terms; e.g. ensuring no more threats, ensuring downed subject is no longer a threat, etc.; as opposed to specific movements like sweeping the muzzle, eye checks, etc. That would allow the shooter to dictate what methods/techniques would fit the scenario, environment, circumstances, etc.; which would allow for that open-ended training you wrote about earlier. Make sense?

@TheTick: I think the open-ended training that 26 Inf and Failure2Stop would amply fill in the gaps for shooters who have no clue. Again, this is where the prior mindset training could really shine through.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234