Thread: Low Fat vs Low Card For Weight Loss

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    That is what most people don't understand. 80% of weight loss is eating a healthy diet. 1 1/2 years ago I started a macro diet and lost 60 lbs in a year. Maintaining but still watching what I eat.
    There's a few caveats with this post. Age and activity level being huge ones. I'd say that diet becomes increasingly more important as you age, because your ability to recover diminishes. When you're young, you can out work a bad diet and recover fast enough to do it again the next day. As you age though, this changes drastically. Bad habits stack up over years and you find yourself in a place where you can't recover fast enough to outdo a poor diet.

I think the importance of a healthy diet in young people is in establishing a behavior pattern to take them later in life, not so much an acute effect, not that there won't be one.

To say someone lost 60lbs in a year, without qualifying that statement with a weight, height and age stat is misleading. Losing 10lbs at 40 years old at a reasonable BMI is much harder than losing 50lbs at 20 at an inflated BMI. I've very much come to appreciate and respect of aging on the active person. I would encourage all young guys, those under 40, so seriously check their habits and see where changes need to be made.
    Last edited by bp7178; 03-19-19 at 23:27.