G&R Tactical
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Low Fat vs Low Card For Weight Loss

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    8,025
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    Also BMI is a outdated! I weigh 205 lbs. By BMI standards I am overweight! I had two nephews finish usmc basic in January. They entered at 205 lbs (18 years old) they finished and weighed 225 lbs. By BMI they are overweight.

    But they lost inches. Muscle is heavier than fat! BMI does not take this in consideration. Everyone uses excuses and want to blame something other than themselves for the poor results or the lack of.
    BMI is a useful population screening tool but it does have it's limitations at the outer edges of the population. Ronnie Coleman has a BMI of about 42 with a total body fat percentage of about 3%. That being said, when I have someone sitting in my office with a BMI of 42...it doesn't take an experienced bariatric surgeon to determine whether that extra weight is lean muscle mass like Ronnie Coleman, or morbid obesity like Chris Farley. People who complain about the inaccuracies of BMI generally are either a) are morbidly obese and in denial, or b) don't understand how BMI is used by physicians and nutritionists.


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    3,313
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    BMI is a useful population screening tool but it does have it's limitations at the outer edges of the population. Ronnie Coleman has a BMI of about 42 with a total body fat percentage of about 3%. That being said, when I have someone sitting in my office with a BMI of 42...it doesn't take an experienced bariatric surgeon to determine whether that extra weight is lean muscle mass like Ronnie Coleman, or morbid obesity like Chris Farley. People who complain about the inaccuracies of BMI generally are either a) are morbidly obese and in denial, or b) don't understand how BMI is used by physicians and nutritionists.

    My issues with it (along with height-weight standards) come from the military. We would measure sailors and Marines who were by standard overweight and would have to have mandatory counseling, but had 5% body fat and could run the 3 miles in 18 minutes.

    Of course, in the civilian world it's different, and careers aren't writing on the magic number. But I tell people what you say, don't bitch if you have a high number and a low body fat and are athletic, the provider's notes should account for that and it is just a screening tool.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sodom & Gomorrah on the Sound - Seattle, Wash., Left Coast Hell
    Posts
    2,093
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A buddy who's gone Hardcore Keto forwarded me this and I thought I'd let you guys poke holes in it.


    Personally I find it suspicious that the guy "no longer practices to focus on education via social media"...
    You really have to ask why Conservatives have guns? Because Liberals block freeways, burn cities, throw Molotov cocktails, loot, turn over cop cars, and think this behavior is Socially Acceptable.
    --unknown, memed by user "KeepnitReel" at Northwest Firearms

    NRA Life Member (installment plan)

    Not to be confused with Diamondback Firearms--no affiliation in any way whatsoever.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    105
    Feedback Score
    0
    A high carb diet works for me, I have lost 25lbs in the last 6 weeks and I eat as much as I like when I like. My old clothes fit again

    Penn Jillette inspired me...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelIXCuuSZ0&t=357s

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,623
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    ...but had 5% body fat and could run the 3 miles in 18 minutes.
    Did that with a high BMI and thereby total body weight. That isn't the norm, by a long shot. Its an anomaly.

    I think a bunch of old dudes on the internet need to divorce themselves from what a 18 year old in boot camp anecdotally accomplished.

    I wish at 41 I had that T level I did at 18 and knew what to do with it, other than chase females.

    Ronnie Coleman destroyed his body for his sport. I wouldn't use that model for the sake of longevity. If you're dealing with an athlete in the .01% group, sure. There's opportunity there. But, that's not the people reading this.

    Regardless of your BMI, when you look at yourself, you know.

    I thought Penn's diet was mostly about time restricted fasting? Unless I knew of what kind of performance he was capable of, I don't know if I would emulate that. Anyone can starve themselves and through fortitude lose weight, but its not sustainable and won't allow you to perform and any respectable level, which exactly what that performance would be you'd need to define first, obviously.
    Last edited by bp7178; 06-28-19 at 00:32.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,090
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Boon View Post
    A high carb diet works for me, I have lost 25lbs in the last 6 weeks and I eat as much as I like when I like. My old clothes fit again

    Penn Jillette inspired me...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelIXCuuSZ0&t=357s
    End of the day it's still about cals in vs out, but there's issues of what's lost (fat vs muscle), effects on other metrics (lipids, etc) and so forth that generally does not favor the high carb diet in my view. Finally, the real issue, is not losing the wight statically speaking, it's keeping it off. While it was great Jillette lost all that weight, I he looked/looks rather unhealthy to me also. I assume, without knowing more that the weight loss was still a net benefit to his overall health.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    105
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    End of the day it's still about cals in vs out, but there's issues of what's lost (fat vs muscle), effects on other metrics (lipids, etc) and so forth that generally does not favor the high carb diet in my view. Finally, the real issue, is not losing the wight statically speaking, it's keeping it off. While it was great Jillette lost all that weight, I he looked/looks rather unhealthy to me also. I assume, without knowing more that the weight loss was still a net benefit to his overall health.
    Your right about the calories in vs calories out, expend more cals than you take in and you will lose weight..... I like the high carb option because it's easy, it takes very little effort to lose weight

    I think Penn Jillette looks unhealthy too, but his weight loss without restrictive dieting is amazing.

    Every vegan I have ever seen looked unwell, with me it's a short term means to an end..................... Humans are omnivores.
    Last edited by Mick Boon; 06-28-19 at 11:22.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,090
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Boon View Post
    Your right about the calories in vs calories out, expend more cals than you take in and you will lose weight..... I like the high calorie option because it's easy, it takes very little effort to lose weight

    I think Penn Jillette looks unhealthy too, but his weight loss without restrictive dieting is amazing.

    Every vegan I have ever seen looked unwell, with me it's a short term means to an end..................... Humans are omnivores.
    Yup, Sure as hell are. I cover that topic in depth if interested:

    https://brinkzone.com/vegan-diets-the-raw-truth/
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    105
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Yup, Sure as hell are. I cover that topic in depth if interested:

    https://brinkzone.com/vegan-diets-the-raw-truth/
    A good article. Thanks !

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,090
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Boon View Post
    A good article. Thanks !
    Anyone tries to push that vegan nonsense on you, send them there.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •