Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home gym build question

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Home gym build question

So I’ve decided to build a home gym, just can’t get to Golds anymore due to distance and family obligations. I plan on getting a Rogue HR half rack and an adjustable bench so I can do squats, bench press, deadlifts, and a whole host of other lifts. I intend on using their 1.5 inch thick, two foot square rubber mats for the base to protect the floor. Due to space, it will be out back of the house on a tile floor under a roof.

When it rains the once or twice a year here in SoCal, some water does find its way across the floor where the gym will go, in the grooves between the floor tiles. My question is what should I do if anything to keep water from reaching the rubber mats and potentially getting under them? I also plan on getting some tarps to cover everything when not in use as everything else back there, the grill, our bikes, a tables and some chairs, are always covered in a coating of dirt and pollen, we live somewhat close to where two freeways meet.

I was thinking maybe running a caulk line around the edge of the rubber but I don’t know if that would damage the rubber.
    Last edited by rero360; 03-03-19 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
    So I’ve decided to build a home gym, just can’t get to Golds anymore due to distance and family obligations. I plan on getting a Rogue HR half rack and an adjustable bench so I can do squats, bench press, deadlifts, and a whole host of other lifts. I intend on using their 1.5 inch thick, two foot square rubber mats for the base to protect the floor. Due to space, it will be out back of the house on a tile floor under a roof.

When it rains the once or twice a year here in SoCal, some water does find its way across the floor where the gym will go, in the grooves between the floor tiles. My question is what should I do if anything to keep water from reaching the rubber mats and potentially getting under them? I also plan on getting some tarps to cover everything when not in use as everything else back there, the grill, our bikes, a tables and some chairs, are always covered in a coating of dirt and pollen, we live somewhat close to where two freeways meet.

I was thinking maybe running a caulk line around the edge of the rubber but I don’t know if that would damage the rubber.
    Nothing you do will prevent that water from getting under that rubber flooring. You need to prevent the water from entering all all before putting down rubber flooring. If you're trying to deal with the water once it's inside the dwelling if I understand what you wrote.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Will,

Sorry if I didn’t accurately describe the location, I’ll be putting the gym equipment on my back patio that is covered with a roof, but is open on three sides.

Do I even need to worry about the little bit of water that appears two or three times a year? My concern was mold or algae or some other gross stuff growing under the rubber. I doubt what little water that does show up would be pulled up via capillary action the 1.5 inches of rubber to the equipment which is powder coated and all that.

Feedback Score
    I would just go to tractor supply and get some stall mats,
    And not worry if they get some water under them a couple of times a year or what they are exposed to.

From 94 until now,
    I have done humid basement gym, every thing was fine mid Atlantic. Always a great temperature.
    Garage gym dry southwest everything fine, but hot as hell.
    Garage gym mid Atlantic, everything fine, again hot as hell.
    Sunroom gym, humid south west- hot and humid and horrible, everything did fine.
    Walk out basement gym, humid, mid Atlantic. It was fantastic, never too cold, too hot, etc.
    Tired a barn gym, same area, everything somsuth and only place gym or reloading stuff would start to rust.

I now have a smaller, but heated and cooled gym.

Most places, between plumbing, spill, leak issues at some point water will make an appearance.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    just finished my home build....waiting on another weight set!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thank you for the comments guys, I had totally forgot about this thread until tonight. So as you can see in the picture that I went with the Rogue set-up. Since then I've been adding to it, been adding more mats and small things over time. What's not shown is the stationary bike (under the towel in the bottom right edge of the photo, a trap bar, and a close grip parallel handle for T-bar rows with the barbell.

I intend on getting Rogue's cable attachment called the slinger so I can do some tricep pulldowns and lat pulldowns. I also want some kettlebells, an EZ curl bar along with some small diameter plates for it for curls and skull crushers.

Finally, when I was deployed in Qatar two years ago I attempted to bench 225 for the first time in my life and I got it up with a slight assist from my spotter. Well after not lifting seriously for like a year and a half I finally attempted it again tonight with no spotter and not only was I able to bench 225 but I went on and put up 235 as well. I still have the goal of trap bar deadlifting 330 and squating 225 by the end of the year.

IMG-1246.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thank you for the comments guys, I had totally forgot about this thread until tonight. So as you can see in the picture that I went with the Rogue set-up. Since then I've been adding to it, been adding more mats and small things over time. What's not shown is the stationary bike (under the towel in the bottom right edge of the photo, a trap bar, and a close grip parallel handle for T-bar rows with the barbell.

I intend on getting Rogue's cable attachment called the slinger so I can do some tricep pulldowns and lat pulldowns. I also want some kettlebells, an EZ curl bar along with some small diameter plates for it for curls and skull crushers.

Finally, when I was deployed in Qatar two years ago I attempted to bench 225 for the first time in my life and I got it up with a slight assist from my spotter. Well after not lifting seriously for like a year and a half I finally attempted it again tonight with no spotter and not only was I able to bench 225 but I went on and put up 235 as well. I still have the goal of trap bar deadlifting 330 and squating 225 by the end of the year.

IMG-1246.jpg
    Looks great!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I really like that.

Curious about that “This is the Weight” flag. That’s awesome.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I really like that.

Curious about that “This is the Weight” flag. That’s awesome.
    My wife bought it from Flex Comics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    My wife bought it from Flex Comics
    Thanks. Will have to watch for them to come back in stock.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast