Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on going back to a 1911 Platform - STI Staccato C

Feedback Score

Thoughts on going back to a 1911 Platform - STI Staccato C

About a year and half ago I left my traditional police officer position and took a investigator position with a new agency. I mainly work in an office and occasionally help out on low risk search warrants. I originally carried a Glock 19 and it eventually dawned on me that I no longer "have" to carry a gun with a slide that cuts my hand when I shoot it (even with a grip force adapter).

I currently carry an HK VP9SK and it fits most of my needs. I can carry a ten round mag off duty, 13 round mag for plain clothes and a 15 round mag when I do help out on a warrant. I usually carry inside the waistband and I have been growing more uneasy holstering a striker fired pistol when I have my vest on. I do fear that my shirt or jacket might slide into the trigger guard. The VP9SK has had a few failure to feeds, but otherwise has run fairly well. I have also picked up a few factory 20 round magazines that function well in the gun.

I am now tempted to carry a 1911. I have carried one off duty and this would be the first time I would carry one as a "duty" gun. I really like the STI Staccato C . I thank I am comfortable with the 8+1 capacity and could always carry two or three Wilson ten round mags on my vest. I also have duty rifle that I can deploy on search warrants as well. The rubber grip looks comfortable and would hopefully not tear up my shirts. I like the idea of a manual safety and being able to hold the hammer with my thumb when I re-holster. My wife also likes shooting 1911's and was pretty mad at me when I sold one a few years back.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Last edited by fourXfour; 03-03-19 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fourXfour View Post
    About a year and half ago I left my traditional police officer position and took a investigator position with a new agency.
    ....................................................................................................
    The VP9SK has had a few failure to feeds, but otherwise has run fairly well. I have also picked up a few factory 20 round magazines that function well in the gun.

I am now tempted to carry a 1911. I have carried one off duty and this would be the first time I would carry one as a "duty" gun. I really like the STI Staccato C . I like the idea of a manual safety and being able to hold the hammer with my thumb when I re-holster. My wife also likes shooting 1911's and was pretty mad at me when I sold one a few years back.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    The FIRST requirement of a handgun is that it go "BANG"- everytime. I would never carry a gun that "has a few failures to feed". (Does your vehicle start everytime you turn the key/press starter?)
    I would troubleshoot and correct the feed issues with the HK or quit carrying it.

STI makes a good gun, but like all guns that will be carried- it should be "proven" on the range.

I have their "Staccato P", which is the hi-cap version of the "C".
    It has run flawless but had two issues; the front sight height was too tall for my carry ammo (it shot 4" low @ 20 yds), the barrel (hood) fit sucked and I'd have occasional fliers.
    After ordering/installing a correct height FS and addressing the barrel hood issue the gun is good to carry.

It is not necessary to "hold hammer with thumb when you re-holster" with a 1911.
    The thumb safety and grip safety, if properly fit and functional, completely prevent gun from firing.

The 1911 is much more a "gun guys" gun than the wealth of striker guns available.
    One reason being parts are not reliably "drop in"- like modern CNC'd striker guns.
    That said, once properly set up a 1911 or derivative is certainly as reliable as any handgun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The FIRST requirement of a handgun is that it go "BANG"- everytime. I would never carry a gun that "has a few failures to feed". (Does your vehicle start everytime you turn the key/press starter?)
    I would troubleshoot and correct the feed issues with the HK or quit carrying it.

STI makes a good gun, but like all guns that will be carried- it should be "proven" on the range.

I have their "Staccato P", which is the hi-cap version of the "C".
    It has run flawless but had two issues; the front sight height was too tall for my carry ammo (it shot 4" low @ 20 yds), the barrel (hood) fit sucked and I'd have occasional fliers.
    After ordering/installing a correct height FS and addressing the barrel hood issue the gun is good to carry.

It is not necessary to "hold hammer with thumb when you re-holster" with a 1911.
    The thumb safety and grip safety, if properly fit and functional, completely prevent gun from firing.

The 1911 is much more a "gun guys" gun than the wealth of striker guns available.
    One reason being parts are not reliably "drop in"- like modern CNC'd striker guns.
    That said, once properly set up a 1911 or derivative is certainly as reliable as any handgun.
    Thanks for your thoughts!! I do appreciate it. I think I have the failure to feeds linked to one of my 15 round mags. A little more testing and if it is the magazine I will send it back to HK.

I think I am going to make the switch. I'm looking forward to the dryfire/live fire practice to get used to the normal mag release and manual safety.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A tip- If I have a failure to feed at the range and can't diagnose the issue to ammo/bad reload/etc., I insert a rd. backwards in that magazine and throw in the range bag for further scrutiny at home.
    Magazines should be numbered as well.

Feedback Score
    I carried a Nighthawk Custom for my last 9 years as a LEO, with 230 Grn Federal HST. I also currently still carry it, transporting money between banks. Other than replacing recoil spring and mag springs, its been 100% for thousands of rounds. Although its low capacity, I still like ol slab sides, and with 4 extra mags I dont feel underarmed. Just make sure you get some proper training, the manual safety has to be used properly. Wrong thumb position can bump it on under recoil.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The 1911 takes a bit more dedication to become proficient/comfortable with than striker guns with "trigger safeties".
    Guess it's just a matter of if that additional dedication/time/effort is worth it to the individual considering carrying one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The 1911 takes a bit more dedication to become proficient/comfortable with than striker guns with "trigger safeties".
    Guess it's just a matter of if that additional dedication/time/effort is worth it to the individual considering carrying one.
    This is a pretty good summation in my opinion. The 1911 can and does still serve with distinction in LE, but the folks I know that still go 10-8 with them, as well as the retired dudes that carry them tend to be more "in tune" with what it takes to get there as well as stay there. My personal 1911's run every bit as good as my Glock's and M&P's, but I would be lying if I said it does not take a bit more effort on my part to get there.

Best of luck with your choice. The Staccato seems to be shaking out to be a nice little blaster.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1911/ 2011's are great. The sober question to ask is "can I remember to take that safety off under stress"? I know there are others who haven't had that problem but it is a concern we need to strongly consider. Keep us posted.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgm View Post
    1911/ 2011's are great. The sober question to ask is "can I remember to take that safety off under stress"? I know there are others who haven't had that problem but it is a concern we need to strongly consider. Keep us posted.

jpgm
    I love the 1911s I wonder about the safety as well and I would in a situation rely on the grip safety only.. Lots of training is needed. The muscle memory thing doesn't work for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    This is a pretty good summation in my opinion. The 1911 can and does still serve with distinction in LE, but the folks I know that still go 10-8 with them, as well as the retired dudes that carry them tend to be more "in tune" with what it takes to get there as well as stay there. My personal 1911's run every bit as good as my Glock's and M&P's, but I would be lying if I said it does not take a bit more effort on my part to get there.

Best of luck with your choice. The Staccato seems to be shaking out to be a nice little blaster.
    We has a deputy that carried a 1911 and he looked bad to the bone with in holstered. He shot in the gun club I used belong to and he could really shoot great

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast