Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
In many jurisdictions a protection from abuse order is (PFA) is given routinely when someone files for divorce, they generally aren't subjected to the same scrutiny that it would seem this 'Rubio Bill

<<< well thought and eloquent discussion cropped for breavity>>>

As to have rights curtailed for up to 30 days without a hearing, I know this isn't a criminal matter, but generally, the right to a speedy trial is 60 days after preliminary unless the respondent waives. Ten days would be better, but up to 30 doesn't seem outrageous, especially since the person isn't in custody.
Judges sign Domestic Violence Orders and Peace Bonds here in WV now. I don’t know of a jurisdiction where you don’t have to go before a judge for a DVO. HOWEVER, I never saw a judge deny a petitioner. They are too afraid of the repercussions if they do and something happens. Screw the dude she’s mad at because she thinks he was cheating, he can go hire an attorney and in the case of a DVO try to get his kids, house and guns back at enormous personal expense.

The bottom line is we closed all the mental hospitals, handed the inmates a bottle of feel good pills and kicked them into the world. Now we hand out nervous pills like candy, everyone gets a participation trophy and no one is ever the loser. We need mental health reform to take these monsters out of the GenPop and warehouse them like the bad old days. Just taking away their guns doesn’t deprive them of the means to commit atrocities, it makes them become creative.