Thread: .44 Mag for hog?

Feedback Score

.44 Mag for hog?

Hello, I am new to hunting, I have only done some bunny hunting, but I wanted to get a rifle I could use for both deer and hog, and because I live in OH, I can only use straight wall cartridges for deer. So I wanted to know, is .44 Mag too weak for hog? If so, what would you recommend? I’m looking at Marlin rifles, with a 20” barrel.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A buddy shoots a .44 Marlin hog hunting.
    I loaded some 260 gr WFNGC at 1100 FPS from a 4” S&W, I would assume around 1500 FPS from the Marlin.
    It was Thor’s Hammer in hogs.

I think the Marlin in 44 Magnum is a great combo on hogs to 100+ yds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    44 mag from a rifle will work on hogs.

Feedback Score
    Should work just fine. They aren't armor-plated. The most important thing on pigs, is knowing that the anatomy isn't the same as a deer. Pretty much everything behind the shoulder is guts.... Bust a shoulder, and it is game over, real quick.

I'd go with heavier, (more) solid bullets. Soft points instead of hollow points, or hard cast. E.g. 250-300gr. bullets. I've killed hogs with handguns (.45 Colt), and plenty of rifles that were on the lower-power end of the scale (.250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .35 Rem, 6mm Rem, etc.). So your Marlin .44 mag should be just fine, if you avoid light, hollow-point bullets.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    .... ....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falshooter View Post
    Hello, I am new to hunting, I have only done some bunny hunting, but I wanted to get a rifle I could use for both deer and hog, and because I live in OH, I can only use straight wall cartridges for deer. So I wanted to know, is .44 Mag too weak for hog? If so, what would you recommend? I’m looking at Marlin rifles, with a 20” barrel.
    Should work just fine. They aren't armor-plated. The most important thing on pigs, is knowing that the anatomy isn't the same as a deer. Pretty much everything behind the shoulder is guts.... Bust a shoulder, and it is game over, real quick.

I'd go with heavier, (more) solid bullets. Soft points instead of hollow points, or hard cast. E.g. 250-300gr. bullets. I've killed hogs with handguns (.45 Colt), and plenty of rifles that were on the lower-power end of the scale (.250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .35 Rem, 6mm Rem, etc.). So your Marlin .44 mag should be just fine, if you avoid light, hollow-point bullets.
    Answering your own questions as someone else? Forget to switch screen names?
    Last edited by Arik; 03-06-19 at 07:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Answering your own questions as someone else? Forget to switch screen names?
    Nope, i handled a 44 mag yesterday evening and i was really impressed by it and i friend lectured me about them...just updating the thread based on my new finding.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nope, i handled a 44 mag yesterday evening and i was really impressed by it and i friend lectured me about them...just updating the thread based on my new finding.
    Not how it reads at all. Normally some would say something like....

"handled a 44 mag yesterday evening and i was really impressed by it and i friend lectured me about them"...bla...bla...bla..

Yours reads like giving advice as a different person.

But whatever

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    This is the strangest thread I have read in a long time. OP asks a questions, and then answers it as if he is an expert on the topic now.

Anyways, 44Mag, within it's relatively short range compared to rifle cartridges, is a thumper.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Larry Kelly and J.D. Jones successfully put down some of the biggest and most dangerous game in the world, including elephant, using 44 magnum handguns at close range, I think it will work on pigs just fine out of Marlin rifle.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!