Thread: 1st gen Ares Shrike feedback??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

1st gen Ares Shrike feedback??

Afternoon Gents,

Anyone have experience with one of these belt fed uppers behind the M16?? Looking at a used unit but said to be in excellent condition & honestly didn't even know a belt fed upper was even available for the M16/AR receivers...nor do I have any sort of window of value other than a quick look & finding NIB pricing. What would you guys consider fair??

Having never shot or even fondled anything belt is there anything I need to consider or any comments regarding reliability going FA with this set up?? Honestly, it kinda falls into more of a novelty arena & wouldn't consider it on a semi, but if I can pick it up at a price point where I can always get out of her without getting pinched too bad...at least I can say I owned a belt fed at one time.

Many thanks!!
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I have some experience with one. In order to get it to work from the belt in FA, I needed a heavy buffer and I believe sprinco red spring. It also needed to be ran wet, well oiled.
    From the magazine, no problems.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you. I'm currently running a H2 & I think a tactical spring (blue) & will look into the suggested...this unit I'm looking at is an early production & while not a ton of 411 out there I am seeing some mention of different gens. I have a call into Ares just to confirm there are no obsolete parts / changes & I'll have support if any issues. Not sure how much I'll use it, but the $2k asking price seems reasonable & it appears really clean.

Any suggestions or comments regarding the use of belts in general or anything to keep an eye on?? I'm guessing the links can get damaged on occasion & cause a failure in the feeding if not visualized during assembly.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Thank you. I'm currently running a H2 & I think a tactical spring (blue) & will look into the suggested...this unit I'm looking at is an early production & while not a ton of 411 out there I am seeing some mention of different gens. I have a call into Ares just to confirm there are no obsolete parts / changes & I'll have support if any issues. Not sure how much I'll use it, but the $2k asking price seems reasonable & it appears really clean.

Any suggestions or comments regarding the use of belts in general or anything to keep an eye on?? I'm guessing the links can get damaged on occasion & cause a failure in the feeding if not visualized during assembly.
    I would say just keep them well lubed, not rusty. I found that when wet, the gun loved to run. When dry... Not so much.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks gang...picked it up today. Ares is sending me the extended bolt catch so it will matt & went ahead & got their heavier spring as recommended earlier. Looking forward to playing with her & appreciate the responses.

I'm already one of those who have always run these platforms over wet & responses are much appreciated!