Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A visual example of why M4C recommends quality AR parts

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

A visual example of why M4C recommends quality AR parts

In 2009 I bought an LMT lower, and a few years later I built a lower using a DPMS LPK. I knew the risk of DPMS but figured they were “just springs” as I didn’t use the trigger or safety.

Today I was replacing pistol grips and was pretty intrigued. Both have been in very humid environments. Kept outside during outdoor trips. Shot in the rain and left to sit. I can’t speak to how a safe queen’s springs would fair, but the below is telling.

Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-05-19 at 19:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Live your best life and get the small parts you deserve.

Good lesson here.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I am thinking that a coat of grease during assembly would be a worthwhile precaution. Next cleaning I will pull the grips and do just that. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Note to self, don’t skimp on firearm parts and accessories. Ever.

Thanks for posting, Euro.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    Note to self, don’t skimp on firearm parts and accessories. Ever.

Thanks for posting, Euro.
    Especially the tiny, already cheap parts.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    The rust has nothing to do with it being a cheap spring.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    The rust has nothing to do with it being a cheap spring.
    Care to expand on that? Could you, I dunno, tell us what it does have to do with then? While you’re answering those questions maybe you can also answer this as well:

Yesterday when I got off work I decided to spend an evening doing maintenance on my firearms. I found something interesting, wanted to share it with M4C, took a picture, uploaded it, and made a post here showing two springs that have had equal amounts of time (almost a decade each) in similar real world conditions. I didn’t go scuba diving with one rifle and not the other. One rifle wasn’t abused while the other lived a safe queen life. Both lived side by side in the same safe and Saw the same rifle ranges and went to the same shooting competitions and rode in the same Mercedes. Both lowers were put together between 8-10 years ago. Both have had the same user and the same cleaning regimen.

One is rusted and one is not.

I didn’t perform a metallurgical analysis on both springs. I didn’t insinuate anything. I didn’t post anything controversial or anything that needed evidence. I didn’t claim anything other than “Spring A was from a known maker and isn’t rusted, Spring B was in a cheap LPK and is rusted. Both lived the same life.” which is exactly what happened.

And then you post something with nothing to back it up.

While I won’t for a second claim to bring anything close to the amount of information to M4C that Doc and Molon brought, I can see why they left.

GH41 - The Information Killer
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-06-19 at 07:53. Reason: Removed personal attack and the part where I told GH41 that I hate him. I do, but he wouldn’t have got the Michael Scott reference and 36 infractions is enough for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Euro packs enough living into one day than 99% of the people fretting over roll marks and whether or not a C is on their upper do in a lifetime

Trust me.

But then again this is the same place where I am repeatedly told an SR25 won't work in the mud after I used one to shoot hogs at night after falling in a bog.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    But then again this is the same place where I am repeatedly told an SR25 won't work in the mud after I used one to shoot hogs at night after falling in a bog.
    BogLube.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast