Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruined 80 lower?

Feedback Score

Ruined 80 lower?

So i recently purchased the 5d tactical jig pro that included a lower from 80-lower. Everything milled out just fine, followed the instructions to the T! Took it out of the jig and i see daylight where my pistol grip goes! Pretty sure it's toast. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    How thin is the bottom of the receiver where the trigger comes out? Either the instructions were wrong or you misinterpreted them, because that pocket looks much too deep. The only thing that bears against the bottom of the pocket is the trigger spring. If the bottom is 'wafer thin', then it might be toast.

Feedback Score
    It seems to taper. The edge is about 1/16 but the middle of the slot is about 1/32. This is my first lower so im not 100% on what exactly im looking for

Feedback Score
    Make sure the mil (bit) is locking. What router did you use?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Looks like a 300 dollar paperweight to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So it looks like what happened is by milling this deeper, you are not far off from detaching where grip mounts. Who knows how strong it is. I would consider it ruined.

Also out of curiosity, did you say that this is your first lower ever? Perhaps it is probably a good idea to have another standard mil-spec lower around for comparison sake before you go milling one out?

Feedback Score
    Did you use the router plate with the bearing in it?

Feedback Score
    I did use the cap with the bearing. And i had used the ridgid router from home depot i kept checking my depth on the jig and it all seemed correct. The only thing i can thing of is kaybe my bit came loose because i did have to tighten it at one point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepHeep View Post
    I did use the cap with the bearing. And i had used the ridgid router from home depot i kept checking my depth on the jig and it all seemed correct. The only thing i can thing of is kaybe my bit came loose because i did have to tighten it at one point.

Yeah, it looks like there are a few chatter marks that could indicate a loose mill nut.
    Sorry it didn’t turn out so well. Brownells has 80% lowers reasonably priced if you want to try again.
    Last edited by prepare; 03-06-19 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well it’s not ruined, but i would limit it to a range gun. The area you milled to deeply does add much if any strength to the grip screw area. There is nothing it a lower that is high pressure or abused by the operating system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast