Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hand Press for Beginner Reloading Rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lee Hand Press for Beginner Reloading Rifle

Bought a descent bolt gun to join my semi's and after shooting it a few times, I'm thinking about trying out reloading. BUT, I know myself and attention to detail isn't my strong suit. Seems like the Lee Hand Press would allow me to take my time, do each step correctly, not allowing speed to muck up the process. Also need portability as don't have a lot of space today for larger equipment.

Looking to reload 5.56, 7.62X39, 7.62X51 and possibly 6.5 Grendel later about 100-200 rounds a session.

Anyone use this to learn, or still use this press? How long would 100-200 rounds take to reload on one of these, couple hours?

Any insight you can offer would be appreciated.

Noah
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Yes I still have one. I used it and my old Lyman 310 tools to do most of my loading when I lived in MT. I did most of that in the Winter and it was easier to sit in front of my woodstove and do my loading. It works fine, just slower. I just wouldn't recommend it for magnum length cartridges but you have that covered. I would recommend you buy a separate priming tool, Lee, RCBS etc as that is painstakingly slow on a hand press...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Noah,

I would recommend not using the hand press for reloading. I own one of these and use it only for de-priming range pick up brass (This keeps dirt and grime away from my work space and my presses cleaner).

While you can use the hand press for most of the various reloading steps, I recommend a bench/table mounted press instead. I have found that the Lee hand press has some very loose fitting/floating parts and is not exactly the most ergonomic tool to use. The build tolerance of the various parts is likely to affect your ability to create match-esqe grade reloads but you could probably get away with decent range/plinking ammo. However, your choice in reloading dies and reloading process is more likely to affect the quality of your reloads.

The hand press is more of a pain to use then convenient. It's design sort of limits how you can hold it and the constant opening and closing of it is cumbersome compared to a traditional press. I have seen pictures of compact reloading setups that use very little space with a traditional press. Perhaps take a look at some of those options by searching the internet for pictures of compact reloading setups. In my opinion I would pass on purchasing one of these. Lee often sells some of their traditional reloading presses at a discounted rate in their Closeout section of their website if you are trying to start your foray into reloading by saving money.

Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    BUT, I know myself and attention to detail isn't my strong suit.
    Reloading requires a good amount of attention to detail. If you really decide to venture into reloading then I recommend purchasing a reloading manual and reading it before purchasing any equipment.
    Last edited by TxRaptor; 03-06-19 at 18:36.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The above post by TxRaptor is a good advice.

If you are serious about trying out reloading a good place to start for equipment might be something like an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit, or a similar kit produced by Hornady or even Lee (their single stage bench mounted press, not the hand press).

But, as was said above, reloading is not a hobby for someone who isn't detail oriented and/or who tends to be easily distracted. The suggestion of getting a manual to read before buying any equipment is sound. You might also see if there's a training facility in your area that offers a class on hand loading.

You didn't mention your motivation for wanting to get into reloading. I've found that it hasn't really changed the amount of money I spend on shooting. It's a second hobby unto itself, and while it is absolutely possible to load ammo more cheaply than you can buy, it the time spent eats up most or all of the savings (assuming you value your time at all). I've found that I enjoy the hobby and the ammo savings is a bonus.

As for that hand press, I wouldn't want to be stuck trying to full length resize rifle cases on something like that.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 03-06-19 at 22:17.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They are perfect for reloading neck-sized brass for bolt guns, or batch depriming case lots whilst in front of the TV w/ the Mrs, ha!

I reload most of my mil-surps this way, using a universal depriming tool, as the cases don’t need belling/expansion or such ... deprime, reprime (Lee hand tool), powdah (B&M measure), seat & Lee factory crimp die. Nickle-sized groups at 50-yds, can’t be beat!
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gonna go with the attention to detail first also. Manuals are good too. Doesn't have to be new as far as safety and how to information goes. Lyman and 1960's NRA reloading guides are some of the best in my opinion. Online is good so long as who ever is keying it in knows what they are doing which is a good reason to have at least 1 hard copy.

I have used neck size .308 dies in a Lee hand press for sure and full length .223 (not sure if I ever did full length with .308) and it was fine for range and hunting ammo. Not as good as bench mounted, but I think it has a niche. Had mine awhile so maybe something is different, but as far as looseness goes I don't think there is much of an issue so long as the shell holder and die bottom out against each other.

Not sure what you are planning on loading 7.62x39 for, but not thinking of much of an advantage on that one.

Once again, the big thing is attention. I have read an opinion that a progressive can be better to start with since it lets you focus more attention on inspecting (& lower chance of double or no charge) than the physical motions of reloading.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Been trying to find someone local that reloads. Joining a large footprint private range in N Ga should help my chances. Tag along and get some instruction, then decide if it's for me, not sure if I want to deal with another hobby. Thanks for all the responses, seems like Hand Press isn't the way to go and would probably discourage me more, especially since ammo is so cheap these days.

Feedback Score
    I’ve used the hand press for years (many years ago), and had no problem producing 1/4 moa ammo at a fast pace. There are ways to be precise and efficient with a hand press. However...., it does require a small investment to buy the right parts....

The only reason I used it is because I did not have space in a small apt at the time.

1. It is a PITA depriming / FL size from a Hand press. I got Popeye arms from loading tens of thousands of rounds off that things. Solution = Case lube.

2. And the rest assuming you already have all the tools/methods to do all the case prep between FL size and loading. Most of these are off the press anyways. Expand and seating is not labor intensive at all. That’s the easy part.

3. As others may have suggested, get a good hand primer.

4. Auto power dispenser w/ trickle settings - throwing powder can be a pain. Especially when you are loading match rounds. A Hornady auto charge at low setting can throw pretty precise charges.

4. At slow, it’s perfectly timed where you can pour powder into case, grab a bullet and then seat at a quick rate. Once you have prepped case ready to go, and auto charger charging powder, the powder is always ready when you need it. It’s a matter of how fast you can go through the process of taking out the loaded round, put a ready to load brass in, pour the powder, grab the bullet, then load. Just the same as you would with a regular press. You can easily average 150-200 / hour.

Just my personal experience......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmfdez View Post
    You can easily average 150-200 / hour.
    Even if I triple that time, this feels like something I can do 1-2 times a month and get to the range.

Buying a few reloading books to further my education and am watching youtube videos on specific calibers. I'm thinking about starting with 9mm subsonic (EVO Scorpion Suppressed), probably easier than rifle and with smaller cases and good light easier to check my work in a loading tray.

Found a great Tacklebox Reloading Setup for the hand press as well.

Reloading Tackle Box.jpg

Thanks everyone for their help.

Noah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast