Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusting on new KAC SR15

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Rusting on new KAC SR15

Hi all,
    Put 300 rounds through my SR15 at the range the other day for the first time and it’s a sweet rifle. Didn’t clean it but noticed rust on the flash hider and the gas block. How could this be? Also on the bottom of the flash hider where there’s a hole there seems to be some white crust that formed after I shot it. It breaks off easily with a tooth pick and the “rust” wiped off clean with a rem oil wipe. Anyone have this issue before? My guns are stored in sub 30% humidity so that shouldn’t be a problem. Posting some pics let me know what you think, thanks!

9421ACF0-3559-4E3D-835B-357A8369D343.jpg

4F876D82-86B9-451E-9537-BB6FFA66CD73.jpg

4FAFB639-E676-4CB2-AD16-82B5669E00FD.jpg

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd say nothing to worry about on muzzle device. Hard to tell about the gas block from the picture. I would just use some oil on both. Scrub it a bit with a nylon or brass brush and liberally spray again. I'm not an expert in rust or rust prevention though

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I’d contact KAC and see what they say. I get it, if it’s not a big deal, you don’t want to bother them, but if everyone had that mindset, little QC/process controls can get out of control and or be masked.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You should have contacted KAC before posting.

A little residue like you saw on your flash hider is nothing, just a by product of manufacturing/metal treatment/assembly.

Metal will rust after the oil burns off, like your gas block and flash hider, and it it just wipes off with some oil there are no worries.

You kind of need to clean/lube a new gun after you shoot it for the first time. Eventually the metal seems to "season" and is much more tolerant of neglect.

My 2 cents...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To be quite honest I’ve never done anything other than wiping down a rifle just to get off some factory grease before shooting the first time. Never had issues and all my other rifles are spotless. I emailed KAC the pics so I’m waiting to see what they say. I’ll keep everyone posted .

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Are you sure this isn't the brown oxide coating they put on the flash hider, gas block, and sight bases?
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    The white crust in the index pin install slot is from Rocksett. Normal. If you didn't clean all the lube and crap off the rifle down before shooting it, then its just that burning off. Its not rust. I blast down all my KAC guns with the spray can of rem oil. And they drip that brown assembly/long term oil off the rifle. I would suspect if you didn't clean it down well, you would see what your seeing.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Mine looks the same. Curious to hear if there is a coating on these components. I just hosed them down with CLP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just put some oil on a rag and Q-tip and wipe it down and it will be good to go. If I am not mistaken, several of their parts have a patina appearance to them which makes them look like rust when it really isn't. I've seen that patina look on sights and gas blocks. I suppose their could be more.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Looks like discolored, cooked on oil/preservative to me. I’ve seen this before
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast