Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rusting on new KAC SR15

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I shoot mine every weekend. Maybe I should clean and oil mine, seriously. It was so dry and gunked up, I had to pry the CH back and dumped some Frog Lube in it this week. I was so proud of myself.

I wouldn't worry, but you can certainly confirm by phone with KAC what Jwknutson17's explained.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If people would just buy Colt instead of this junky, low quality, non mil-spec Knights Armaments crap they wouldn't have any problems. Might as well buy a DPMS if you're not buying a Colt.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    KAC got back to me. They determined the overall fit and finish of my upper was poor and shipped me a whole new upper. I’m happy with that especially since it’s a $2500 rifle.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    KAC got back to me. They determined the overall fit and finish of my upper was poor and shipped me a whole new upper. I’m happy with that especially since it’s a $2500 rifle.
    That’s great to hear. They are so mil focused, it’s good to know they show some civy love.

PB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's really impressive. Glad they got back to you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dibs on the crappy one so I can spray paint it!!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Saw this thread and realized my SR-15 I purchased in April had the same discoloration on the gas block. IMG_1833.jpg

I was told not to worry. Here's their response:

KAC has recently implemented a more environmentally friendly black oxide coating process than previously used processes for some of our stainless steel small parts. This process, while providing the necessary levels of protection to stainless parts, does exhibit a brownish hue/orangish after cleaning and wear. Stainless steel is, naturally, highly resistant to corrosion even in an uncoated state; the use of black oxide is simply to subdue the surface color of the part. A brown coloration on these parts is not indicative of any loss of protective performance or cause for concern.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornfan View Post
    Saw this thread and realized my SR-15 I purchased in April had the same discoloration on the gas block. IMG_1833.jpg

I was told not to worry. Here's their response:

KAC has recently implemented a more environmentally friendly black oxide coating process than previously used processes for some of our stainless steel small parts. This process, while providing the necessary levels of protection to stainless parts, does exhibit a brownish hue/orangish after cleaning and wear. Stainless steel is, naturally, highly resistant to corrosion even in an uncoated state; the use of black oxide is simply to subdue the surface color of the part. A brown coloration on these parts is not indicative of any loss of protective performance or cause for concern.

Good info, and thank you for the update.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12