Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing condensation from chamber ?

Feedback Score

Removing condensation from chamber ?

I have an AR-10, there is condensation in the chamber ! Before I go to the range i usually use gun scrubber to remove any oil residue in the chamber, then I dry it. However after a range trip i cleaned the rifle and I noticed afterwards by putting my little finger in the chamber there was condensation. Any ideas how to remove it ?

*i do not use gun scrubber for cleaning only before range trip
    Last edited by SHARPSHOOTER282; 03-07-19 at 01:48.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Wait until it acclimates and pull a bore snake through it.

Feedback Score
    A little WD 40 will drive out the moisture, and provides light lubrication at the same time. Then it can be removed per your usual practice.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like you may have also cleaned it in a colder place than you checked it ...
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    Sounds like you may have also cleaned it in a colder place than you checked it ...
    no, i cleaned it at home after shooting it at the range and checked it there as well

on the range the temp was 48-50F
    Last edited by SHARPSHOOTER282; 03-07-19 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Regardless, it sounds like it’s a temperature differential/lack of air flow issue. Next time, maybe leave the action open?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hkbeltfed View Post
    Regardless, it sounds like it’s a temperature differential/lack of air flow issue. Next time, maybe leave the action open?
    ok, its in the safe now, i will take it out leave it with the bolt open ! its quite warm in my house how long should i leave action open for ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Condensation forms when the temperature of the rifle is below that of the dew point of the environment it is in. If the rifle is at the same temperature as the room temperature, there really should be no way for droplets of condensation to form. When you bring a cold 50F rifle into a house that's warm and has high humidity, droplets can form. Typically they will dry up when the rifle reaches room temperature.

My rifles go into the house and warm up completely, actions open, before being stored in the safe.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Iif gun scrubber is like brake cleaner the evaporation cools the metal enough to cause condensation to form. I have had it happen when I use brake cleaner to remove oil from metal parts prior to painting.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    Iif gun scrubber is like brake cleaner the evaporation cools the metal enough to cause condensation to form. I have had it happen when I use brake cleaner to remove oil from metal parts prior to painting.
    You don't even have to use an aerosol. In warm temps the evaporation rate of many products will chill the metal including common alcohol enough to promote condensation depending on temp and humidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast