Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing condensation from chamber ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When gunpowder burns it produces h2o. Like others have said, you need to allow it to evaporate. A .222 diameter tube, closed on one end, will not dry easily.

Feedback Score
    I leave my guns out overnight to acclimate. If they get condensation, i blow dry them or lay them on the radiator overnight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For a little over $100 shooters can buy a pancake air compressor like they use to run nail guns. All shooters benefit from using air. After hosing down with brake cleaner, use air to blow out condensation.

And post #3: WD 40 dries to a varnish in guns. Even worse, NO oil etc in the chamber or on ammo. This increases bolt thrust to dangerous levels.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 03-07-19 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    For a little over $100 shooters can buy a pancake air compressor like they use to run nail guns. All shooters benefit from using air. After hosing down with brake cleaner, use air to blow out condensation.

And post #3: WD 40 dries to a varnish in guns. Even worse, NO oil etc in the chamber or on ammo. This increases bolt thrust to dangerous levels.
    There is a reason you have to empty the tank on your home air compressor, and why air compressors that run things like turning targets, paint guns, air tools have air dryers on them.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post

If you want a gun to rust spray WD40 on it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Is this a real issue for most people? I live in the southeast, shoot rain or shine, and don’t super often clean the bores of my rifles that have chromed/nitrided or stainless bores. About every 1,000 or so rounds. My main preventative practice is that I leave my weapon case open overnight after I bring the rifle back in, and I put it in a safe in the morning. I make sure steel parts have lube on them. I never use a muzzle cap. My bolt gets cycled frequently before and after a range session for dry fire reps, and maybe that helps.

Edit: I also don’t spray anything in my bore. It gets cleaned with either CLP and/or a copper solvent.
    Last edited by 1168; 03-08-19 at 07:38. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have gravitated to Ballistol exclusively. It creates an emulsion with water then leaves a film of oil when the water evaporates. That is one of the ways it lives up to company claims when cleaning after shooting Pyrodex and potassium chlorate primers.

I just run a dry patch or snake down the barrel before heading out to make sure no large amounts of oil or anything else Is inside.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-08-19 at 07:35.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12