Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replicating military M4

Feedback Score
    Shark arms has a lot of authentic colt stuff. Last time i looked they had some of the MAtech sites and KAC rails for good prices

A lot of the colt stuff is out of stock but they have the KAC rails, Matech sites, KAC vertical grip, and they have a surefire M25 light for $65 (not sur eif clone correct

Just some options to look into

https://sharkarms.com/new-arrivals
    Last edited by everready73; 03-08-19 at 08:00.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirk208 View Post
    Anyone else notice it took him 10 years to make is first post? Gotta be some sort of achievement for that.
    The more expirienced members here have been advising new members to read more and post less for a long time

My "M4" is not at all authentic - I bought a complete pinned LMT 14.5 upper with Troy quad rail and Ma tech sight, a complete LMT defender lower, and then added a AP Pro, A2 grip, and KAC rail covers.

It's an M4 in the dark...
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-08-19 at 08:27.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You are covered with info provided. You could buy a cheap RDS, until you can afford a real deal optic. ie Holsum, Vortex or Sig Romeo for a little over a hundred.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    If you want the authentic experience, give it to a gaggle of 19year olds led by a clueless 22 year old and let them abuse it for a while. Beyond that, using it on a regular basis will give it the appropriate wear. You'll be served well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    If you want the authentic experience, give it to a gaggle of 19year olds led by a clueless 22 year old and let them abuse it for a while. Beyond that, using it on a regular basis will give it the appropriate wear. You'll be served well.
    LOL, thanks Preacher, that gave me a morning chuckle desperately needed today.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When building a M4 clone, what is used was pretty much up to the particular branch service and the individual units as to how they were outfitted. There are different SOPMOD Blocks as well - Block 1, Block 1.5, and Block 2. There are numerous configurations/accessories used. The standard handguard for the basic M4 is the KAC M4 RAS. That includes the handguard, rail panels, and VFG. The MaTech BUIS and the KAC Micro are the two most used. Optics are numerous and include the Aimpoint Comp M2, Comp M3, Comp M4 and M4S, Trijicon ACOG TA31RCOM4, Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN, and others. Aimpoint M68 mounts can vary. Some use the Aimpoint QRP and some use the LaRue Tactical Comp M2 Mount (LT150). Stocks are all over the place. You will see LMT SOPMODs, MAGPUL CTRs, MOEs, Gen 3s, (fiberlite), Gen 4s (waffle stocks), and even some MFT Battlelink Minimalist stocks as well as some others. Magazines will consist of standard USGI, MAGPUL PMAGs, and maybe even some Lancers and HEXMAGs. Again, the units will determine much of this. Some will even allow troops to change out stocks, VFGs, and other items to suit their needs, but the weapon has to be returned to the original configuration when turned in.

On my M4 clones, I prefer the MaTech BUIS. Optics are a matter of choice.

Here are a few of mine.

Colt LE6920 w/Trijicon TA31RCOM4

LMT build with CMMG 14.5" barrel and an Aimpoint Comp M2 in a LT-150 mount.

Sabre Defence (14.5" barrel) with Trijicon TA01NSN.

Then, there is the basic M4.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 03-08-19 at 17:46.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    An Aimpoint Pro would have the "look" similar to the M2 or M3.

Many units allowed their shooters to use their own privately purchased optics, but they had to be higher-end like Aimpoint or EOTech. I've seen pics of both Army and Marine infantry using EOTechs, but it wasn't technically an issue optic for regular grunts. Some entire units did COTS purchases too.

A woman I used to work with (circa 2004 or thereabouts) had a son in USMC Recon. I was introduced to him and we went shooting before his first Iraq tour. Nice kid, took a liking to him. I let him use the Aimpoint M2 I had at the time for his deployment. All I asked was to "break it in right". Honestly I never expected to see it again, but didn't care 'cause if it helped him whack bad guys it was worth the potential loss. When he got back and handed it back over to me, slightly weathered a bit, I asked "Well, did it get broken in right?" He grinned and said "Yeah, sure did!" That particular deployment he was the spotter for a sniper.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 03-08-19 at 18:04.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    All of the above (excellent) pictures remind me of A-how utilitarian the design is. B-How much I hated the giant SF light hanging off the side. It is what I had at the time, but I appreciate lighter weight offerings more every year. Wouldn't matter much on the range, but if you ended up lugging the thing around all day it adds up. It could just be my POGgy, insufficient levels of testosterone speaking, but I definitely appreciate being able to run lighter gear that snags less.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Aimpoint, Eotech, ACOG, or you could slum it even with a carry handle if you wanted to.

I went Eotech with this one, and left the trigger guard non-oem as I swap lowers around a lot.

Same thing with this one leaving the grip and trigger guard individual. In this case, I could swap out the hump back rail, but since they were used by mil, I don't worry about it too much.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mine is a near-precise clone. Colt parts, M4 marked lower, etc, etc. Even did the dummy cording up the same way and went out of my way to find an Aimpoint M2 with the exact same double battery cap type. The mag pouch, vert grip and bipod are the actuals I used on my first tour as well. The only reason it's not a precise clone is the lack of burst fire and the A2X in place of the A2. (Pin/weld.)

Last edited by The Rat; 03-08-19 at 23:09.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast