Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a 4moa Dot Too Big?

Feedback Score

Is a 4moa Dot Too Big?

Hi all,

I'm goofing around with a budget NV set-up. I have a Bushnell Equinox Z 3x30 on the way, and I'm looking at a Vortex Strikefire II.

(I'm a civilian. This is going to be strictly recreational, and at most used to shoot varmints in my backyard.)

The Strikefire II has a 4moa dot, and I've seen comments that it's too big when magnified.

That makes sense, given that 3x a 4moa dot would be 12" across at 100yds...

Can one of you guys with more experience please tell me whether a 4 moa dot is a mistake?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I think you’re making a mistake. A 4MOA dot is 4” at 100 yards no matter how much magnification is behind it.

With your setup you’ll not be able to see anything clearly enough that a dot of any size will matter at 100y anyway.

Feedback Score
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, or maybe I didn't explain what I'm worried about... (Thank you for your patience with my dumb question.)

Isn't a red dot in front of a magnifier kind of like a first-focal-plane reticle, so a 3x magnifier behind a 4moa dot means a 12moa dot?

Otherwise, I don't anticipate/hope to at 100yds with this... It's only 20yds to my back fence.

I do plan to use an extra IR illuminator. (Streamlight TLR-1 IR?)

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    The dot gets 3x bigger as perceived by your eye, but so does the target proportionally.

Thinking it out logically, a magnifier takes everything of what’s in front of it and magnifies it. It isn’t gonna magnify the dot, but not the target and vice versa.

Do you have a FFP scope? The entire point of the retical on a FFP scope is that it does not change size in relation to the target so that you can properly measure distance and holds at all magnifications.

20-50y is good. That will be a sweet setup with good IR illum.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-08-19 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here is a video I made a long time ago of a 4MOA dot on the T-1 and a cam as a magnifier...shows what Euro is talking about.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    The dot gets 3x bigger as perceived by your eye, but so does the target proportionally.
    Oh, duh, that does make sense... (Slapping forehead.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    20-50y is good. That will be a sweet setup with good IR illum.
    Right. I'm not expecting too-good-to-be-true performance out of a $150 NV set-up, just the ability to see and perhaps take a shot at whatever's creeping around outside, without turning on the lights.

On the other hand, there are guys claiming good imaging out to 200+yds with an extra IR illuminator... We'll see.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    Here is a video I made a long time ago of a 4MOA dot on the T-1 and a cam as a magnifier...

That's really helpful... This'll be my first red dot, and I'm used to "fine crosshairs" on scopes, but a 4 moa dot seems entirely manageable.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Happy to help

Here is my first attempt at "Aimpoint Vision", and IIrc the cam I was using only had 10x.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Isn't a red dot in front of a magnifier kind of like a first-focal-plane reticle, so a 3x magnifier behind a 4moa dot means a 12moa dot?
    It's FFP and remains a 3moa dot.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    Happy to help

Here is my first attempt at "Aimpoint Vision", and IIrc the cam I was using only had 10x.

I love those videos. Care to share the setup?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast