Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a 4moa Dot Too Big?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Appreciate it. I just bubba things up, and the last video...or first one was this setup:

fc01ls.jpg

Second video was with this setup...
    DSC07399-1.JPG
    DSC07411-1.JPG

All of them shared this same bubba'd mount made from a larue with a epoxy base that features a screw that is common to most cam tripod holes. Put a piece of stiff foam to dampen the recoil vibration on the quality of the video. This was years ago, and I'm sure now somebody could create a much more elegant and effective solution.

ETA: I just remembered, and looked at that pic again of the first setup....I tried to epoxy a cheaper cam or the one in the pic straight onto the Larue base mount, but after a mag or two it snapped the plastic or something. When I used the epoxy screw mount as shown in big pic...things never broke, but still hard to lock the camera down from rotating after a few rounds due to recoil. Vibratite would do wonders though I'm sure.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 03-08-19 at 23:32.

Feedback Score
    The vortex StrikeFire II also only lasts 600 hours on one battery. Also the battery is a weird one that you just can't pick up at the gas station.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Our first m68cco in the military were 4moa and they served us well for quite some time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    The vortex StrikeFire II also only lasts 600 hours on one battery. Also the battery is a weird one that you just can't pick up at the gas station.
    Is that 600 hours, or 6,000 hours? I'm not worried about battery life... There's even an automatic shut-off after 12 hours, in case I leave it on.

In an ideal world I'd be buying an Aimpoint CompM5 that would run on AAA batteries, but buying 2-3 extra CR2 batteries and storing the spares in the buttstock or the pistol grip is no big deal. CR2s aren't as common as AAs or even CR123s, but they're not weird, either.

Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    Our first m68cco in the military were 4moa and they served us well for quite some time.
    This is reassuring... Thank you!

Feedback Score
    6000 hrs. The trijicon mro is better. Lasts 5 years with a standard CR2032 battery. On the vortex It is advised to remove the battery every time you use it. Because the battery might become corrosion. I bought one never used it. Gave it away. On a dedicated home defense rifle it was a no go. But I do have a Romeo 5 on a 22 upper. You should look at those if you are on a budget.

They use the same CR2032 battery and have a battery life of 50,000 hours. Also don't have to worry about the battery leaking.

The Romeo is lighter and has a 2 Moa dot. Also they only run about $125.00. As the vortex is $175.00.

Feedback Score
    A mini-red dot is a non-starter... I need something 30mm, because the night vision will be looking through it.

Again, battery life is not a big deal to me. CR2 batteries are $2-3 each, and since I won't be leaving it on, a 6,000 hour battery life will probably last me 50 years.

Also, CR2 are lithium camera batteries, so I'm not worried about them leaking... The guys running high-end Canons and Nikons wouldn't be using these, otherwise.

Feedback Score
    I have a trijicon mro and I also have a pvs -14 I can see the 2 Moa dot just fine. It can be quick mounted behind the scope. But the dot and image gets distorted. If you are using night vision get a cheap ir laser.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    If you are using night vision get a cheap ir laser.
    Do you mean, skip the red dot, and just use a laser for aiming? Everything else I'm seeing says to put the NV behind a red dot...

Can you recommend an infrared laser for me?

Like this?

https://smile.amazon.com/Mounted-Las...ustomerReviews

Or this?

https://smile.amazon.com/Mounted-Las...gateway&sr=8-5

Feedback Score
    I just bought a cheap aimshot ir laser off ebay. This is what I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AimSHOT-1mW...kAAOSwI2xbcywt

This one looks interesting :

https://www.ebay.com/p/AimSHOT-Compa...-h/21013525770

Feedback Score
    To follow up...

The Bushnell Equinox arrived, and it's pretty cool, especially for what I paid ($120 off fleabay). The imagining with the on-board illuminator is plenty good to ID varmints at across-the-yard ranges (<50yds).

Downsides: It's longer than spec'ed (almost 8" rather than 6.5"), and the eye relief is ridiculously short, like 1/2" to my eyeglasses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast