Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
Hi all,

I'm goofing around with a budget NV set-up. I have a Bushnell Equinox Z 3x30 on the way, and I'm looking at a Vortex Strikefire II.

(I'm a civilian. This is going to be strictly recreational, and at most used to shoot varmints in my backyard.)

The Strikefire II has a 4moa dot, and I've seen comments that it's too big when magnified.

That makes sense, given that 3x a 4moa dot would be 12" across at 100yds...

Can one of you guys with more experience please tell me whether a 4 moa dot is a mistake?

Rest assured - a 4 MOA dot is 4 MOA regardless of the magnification behind it (Someone already said this but we will reiterate). A magnifier behind it will magnify the dot to make it appear larger, but it's also magnifying the image around the dot at the same rate, too. Thus, everything has been magnified at the exact same rate and are still in the same relation to one another as they were when it was at 1x. Definitely not too large for shooting at 100. Shooting out beyond 300 or so gets interesting, but is in no way impossible if you're just ringing steel.

Edit - holy smokes we're behind on this one. Sorry dudes. This has already been figured out lol