Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVO and TALL Scope Mount Options

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

LPVO and TALL Scope Mount Options

Looking for some aid in selecting a 34mm TALL optic mount for a LPVO.

Also interested in hearing thoughts from those using them. My short time playing with them would indicate an advantage for faster target acquisition and clearing lasers. I understand that some sacrifice may be made when prone but an advantage for standing and fighting.

In the 34mm arena my search and choices seem to be LaRue and Scalarworks at 1.93". Scalarworks LEAP is twice the cost of the LaRue, are you kidding me at $400, and of course for that price out of stock. I own more than a few LaRue mounts and they are all right but wondering if I might be overlooking something? Nice thing about the LaRue is if in the future you wish to change tube size you can just order different sized rings. Looks like with the Scalarworks you are married to the size seeing they are basically one piece.

Thoughts and options please.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Have you tried a 34mm scope in a standard height mount yet? Also, do you actually have a laser to clear?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I recently went to a MI 1.90 mount and really like it. I noticed that I had to dip my head down to get behind the optic and see others doing the same thing. The 1.90 mount is a much more natural head position for me.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Don't forget Knight's Armament part# 30194. No experience with it, just throwing out the option.

FWIW, I use a Geissele 30mm 2.04" mount for my Trijicon 1-6. Really liking the combo.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Tall scope mounts aren’t necessarily an issue. It’s understanding how it effects your trajectory and hold overs at distance and the barrel to sight relationship up close. I personally do both close and far shooting so I prefer standard mounts.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Looking for some aid in selecting a 34mm TALL optic mount for a LPVO.

Also interested in hearing thoughts from those using them. My short time playing with them would indicate an advantage for faster target acquisition and clearing lasers. I understand that some sacrifice may be made when prone but an advantage for standing and fighting.

In the 34mm arena my search and choices seem to be LaRue and Scalarworks at 1.93". Scalarworks LEAP is twice the cost of the LaRue, are you kidding me at $400, and of course for that price out of stock. I own more than a few LaRue mounts and they are all right but wondering if I might be overlooking something? Nice thing about the LaRue is if in the future you wish to change tube size you can just order different sized rings. Looks like with the Scalarworks you are married to the size seeing they are basically one piece.

Thoughts and options please.
    I have been using the LaRue 1.93 for many years, matter of fact since it came out. It does help on 1x to clear the laser. That can get distracting and obscure the sight picture with a 1.5 mount. I have had no issues at all with shooting with them. I have shoot a great deal with them, up close and at some distance and just like any5 else you have to learn to use it properly. The biggest thing is that I train with them and that is all I use so that is my norm.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    The tall mounts are great. They allow you to keep your head up which aids in being able to scan and asses better as in see threats faster, bring the carbine up and get sight picture more consistently. Keeping your head up is also not nearly as fatiguing when you're doing multiple rehearsals in or on structures.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    To those of you running the taller mounts thanks for the info so far. I didnt know about the KAC or MI offerings and will check them out. Sounds like good old Mark LaRue might be getting an order soon. With more and more 34mm tubes and the recent boom in Night Vision I suspect its just a matter of time before we see more. Got to believe Geissele is close seeing they already have 30mm options.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've used the Larue 1.93, their standard 1.5, and even lower rings which were QD. If the majority of your shooting is standing/moving etc, the 1.93 may be of interest, or, if you're running a longer rail with a laser, etc and don't want it in your sight picture, the 1.93 may be the ticket.

I never got the logic that they allow you to keep your head up. The optic is brought inline with your eye, not the other way around. For short range build clearing type stuff the stock isn't that far down vertically in relation to you shoulder pocket. I see its very common for guys to have less of the stock in contact with their shoulder.

If you're mostly shooting from relatively fixed posistions and first round hits are more important, I'd suggest going lower. I'm 6'-3", and a 1.93 left me floating over the stock. It wasn't easy, or maybe better stated as natural, to consistently and quickly line up behind the scope. More of a training and familiarity issue.

Lower than 1.5" improves the cheek and stock weld, but trades this off with easy manipulation of the charging handle. With modern ambi charging handles, this isn't as big of a thing as it was a few years ago.

The shape and size of your face will play a factor in this too. I'd suggest trying before you buy if at all possible.

Feedback Score
    Badger and Unity are both coming out with good systems for this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast