Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVO and TALL Scope Mount Options

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I think it is a lot less dependant on body and head size than people think. Here is my 5'11" brother shooting my rifle with a Geissele 2.04" mount. After years of using his issued RCO, he had no issues picking up my rifle and using it very effectively.

Feedback Score
    I ran an ADM high mount (1.9ish) for a while. Worked fine for mostly standing shooting and fast stuff like I was doing with red dots.

However, as I got more into traditional marksmanship stuff, I found the high mount creates unnecessary tension in my neck, especially in the prone. I switched everything to standard 1.5 mounts and haven’t looked back.

Whether or not it’s right for you depends on how you want to employ it. The best advice I’ll give is to think about how you’re actually going to shoot 90% of the time and plan for that instead.

Feedback Score
    I recently started using a Geissele 1.93 mount to clear a DBAL A3 on a 24 hour gun. It is taking some getting used to but not prohibitively so.
    I am just a regular guy, trying not to screw things up too much.

Feedback Score
    It’s actually sort of interesting to watch how the heights and so on have changed in the last decade or so. Before people might have knocked this me included but I’m really starting to look the idea of a more natural shooting position standing kneeling. I just wonder how one of those higher mounts feel primed out

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman2 View Post
    It’s actually sort of interesting to watch how the heights and so on have changed in the last decade or so. Before people might have knocked this me included but I’m really starting to look the idea of a more natural shooting position standing kneeling. I just wonder how one of those higher mounts feel primed out
    Assuming you mean "proned" out...

It's not impossible, but certainly not ideal. My neck starts to hurt after a few minutes, and cheekweld is minimal. But, my shooting schedule for this particular rifle basically breaks down to;

>90% standing, kneeling, moving, etc
    <10% bench
    <1% prone

So the decreased capability in prone really doesn't matter to me. If I shot in prone more, it would change how I setup my rifle.

Feedback Score
    Meant proned sorry, autocorrect is a bitch. I figured prone with this height mounts would destroy someone’s neck makes sense. Can’t have it all I guess

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    ah, like with all things, it depends what you are doing with said rifle.

The lemmings will run from shiny new thing to shiny new thing, gottahaveit gottahaveit.

I find it interesting that for years piggybacked RMRs were "too high" and "no cheekweld", at least the cool kids said that.

Apparently not anymore

Feedback Score
    Also depends on the community as well. I spent time in units that were more out of the box thinkers but my last deployments were with victor units. I remember having to my knowledge one of the first offset Red for mounts on my M4 before it was a thing( the mount was actually made by Aimpoint got it from Freddy blish at the marine expo before deploying) and being around line company guys everyone gave me shit but I’ll tell you what other than it breaking the ease of having that when clearing villages and houses was amazing and now everyone runs them.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    I think it is a lot less dependant on body and head size than people think. Here is my 5'11" brother shooting my rifle with a Geissele 2.04" mount. After years of using his issued RCO, he had no issues picking up my rifle and using it very effectively.

pic removed
    A tall guy shooting from a standing position isn't who I'd think would have a problem with a tall mount. Generally the stock is higher on the shoulder when standing. You can see in your pic how high his cheek bones would are over the stock. While this isn't an issue at the ranges for what one would generally shoot at something while standing unsupported, it can be more of an issue when prone. When prone the taller mounts aren't as accommodating as they are standing.
    Last edited by bp7178; 03-12-19 at 21:45.

Feedback Score
    I would think some like a ctr and Larue RISR would help in prone abit

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast