Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger SR-762 Discontinued

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Many of the Sig 556 parts are readily compatible with the Swiss Arms 55X rifle parts and most of the small parts are available from Optics Planet. There are enough Sig 556 rifles out there that if a particular part did show a propensity to break, a small shop would start making it. I have a Sig 556 Classic and a Sig 556 SBR. I liked them so much that I bought three of the Swiss Arms 55X rifles. I could stock up on parts for the various discontinued rifles that I have, but then that would eat in to my budget for other guns. Mostly, I just take my chances and will attempt to buy if the need occurs.
    For me, they dont offer enough advantages over an AR15 to justify the possibility that if they go TU that I have a paperweight, not when I can buy a complete milspec bolt for an AR from 10 companies and have it to my house on Monday for $100.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Many of the Sig 556 parts are readily compatible with the Swiss Arms 55X rifle parts and most of the small parts are available from Optics Planet. There are enough Sig 556 rifles out there that if a particular part did show a propensity to break, a small shop would start making it. I have a Sig 556 Classic and a Sig 556 SBR. I liked them so much that I bought three of the Swiss Arms 55X rifles. I could stock up on parts for the various discontinued rifles that I have, but then that would eat in to my budget for other guns. Mostly, I just take my chances and will attempt to buy if the need occurs.

Uh, yeah I went down the spare parts rabbit hole for the 55x beginning about 15 years ago. I totaled up the value and I could have picked up another transferable Colt M16 for what I accumulated in Swiss parts. But I have sufficient parts to keep my fleet of 55x running for several generations.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    For me, they dont offer enough advantages over an AR15 to justify the possibility that if they go TU that I have a paperweight, not when I can buy a complete milspec bolt for an AR from 10 companies and have it to my house on Monday for $100.
    I can't fault the logic, but I found that such thinking would keep me from buying anything other than AR15's and AK's, so I gave up on it long ago. I like them all too much to be put constraints on my buying.
    Last edited by Bret; 03-22-19 at 10:26. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can't fault the logic, but I found that such thinking would keep me from buying anything other than AR15's and AK's, so I gave up on it long ago. A like them all too much to be put constraints on my buying.
    It's not all that limiting. I mean, I have G3's, Garands, M1a's, Fals etc.....I have a pile of complete FAL kits I bought for $89 apiece- spare parts. G3 stuff is STILL pretty cheap for the most part- honestly cheaper than it was in the 80's when magazines were $25 apiece! Anything that was a widely adopted military design you can find parts for with relative ease though some are drying up or becoming pricey, glad I bought most of my stuff long ago....

Feedback Score
    I harped continuously on IWI, now they offer spare parts for both X95 and Galil Ace’s. But until then, I wouldn’t buy them either. If you can’t build up a supply if spares, I can’t really consider the weapon to be serious. At least rifles....I’ll let pistols slide a little bit because they are plenty cheap enough to buy multiples. Still there is absolutely tangible value to the common weapons: AR, AK, Rem 700, Ruger 10/22, 1911, and Glock. The Ruger MK pistols and S&W K/L-frames are near the same status as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    I harped continuously on IWI, now they offer spare parts for both X95 and Galil Ace’s. But until then, I wouldn’t buy them either. If you can’t build up a supply if spares, I can’t really consider the weapon to be serious. At least rifles....I’ll let pistols slide a little bit because they are plenty cheap enough to buy multiples. Still there is absolutely tangible value to the common weapons: AR, AK, Rem 700, Ruger 10/22, 1911, and Glock. The Ruger MK pistols and S&W K/L-frames are near the same status as well.
    With what I see as the outright, full court press, Assault, against firearms ownership- especially military style weapons in this country, I think it really behooves everyone to think "LONG TERM SUPPORT". Unless your plan is to simply line up and turn over your guns- in which case, it doesn't matter whether they are working or not, now does it?

Sure, your new Whiz Banger 2000 may be the latest, greatest rifle/pistol in the world....but if a stupid $2 MIM part breaks and leaves it a paper weight- because that part is unavailable or the factory won't let Peons have it, that weapon is worthless to me. It's a toy, not a weapon.

I want guns with piles of cheap, readily available, milspec/high quality parts available that are easy for a Home Armorer to maintain. In this age of CAD/CAM and other advanced design and manufacturing processes etc...there is no reason for things to be otherwise. The days of milling a receiver out of solid billets and hand fitting and tuning parts are over- PLUG AND PLAY is the rule now, not the exception, the standard.
    Last edited by Esq.; 03-22-19 at 12:54.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12