Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR-762 Discontinued

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ruger SR-762 Discontinued

I suppose it was inevitable given the soft AR market and the softer 308 market. Plus a declining market for piston guns.

I always liked the SR-762 and saw it as more of a heavy patrol rifle rather than a long range platform. Not that the rifle wasn't capable of decent accuracy but the lack of a free-float barrel didn't make it ideal for shooting at extended ranges.

Anyway, here's a photo of mine in it's current state. 51T muzzle device to use suppressed. VTAC LPSM for mounting a sling. Trijicon RMR for an optic along with a mount for an Aimpoint 3X magnifier. Furnitire remains stock Ruger although I believe later production guns came with Magpul stuff.

I had always wondered if Ruger was going to make a takedown version of the 762 with the ability to swap to 6.5 Creedmoor, etc. I guess now we have an answer....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I never heard they were making one. Interesting its dead now. Did yours run well?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I never heard they were making one. Interesting its dead now. Did yours run well?

PB
    Yep. Runs fine. Its biggest claim to fame was using it in a McNamara TAPS class a few years back.

With that said, the gun is a bit over-gassed while running suppressed even on the small setting. To compensate I'm running an H4 buffer. Plan B is to drill an extra small gas port in the gas regulator and see what that does.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I think it was a decent rifle that functioned well. Of course being a proprietary piston design, it didn’t lend itself to customization. I never liked the handguards. And Ruger being Ruger, no spare parts, must send in the gun. Now being an orphan, particularly in the current political climate, I’m avoiding expensive weapons without a readily available part supply. It’s no different with Sig, who constantly comes out with new stuff and discontinues the old stuff leaving you with an orphan and no support.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    I think it was a decent rifle that functioned well. Of course being a proprietary piston design, it didn’t lend itself to customization. I never liked the handguards. And Ruger being Ruger, no spare parts, must send in the gun. Now being an orphan, particularly in the current political climate, I’m avoiding expensive weapons without a readily available part supply. It’s no different with Sig, who constantly comes out with new stuff and discontinues the old stuff leaving you with an orphan and no support.
    Boy you said a friggen mouthful there! I owned THREE Sig 556 rifles, I have traded out of two of them and will NEVER, EVER buy another Sig in my life. Ever. Paid good coin for them and they dropped them like a bums dirty underwear, no support, no nothing. Honestly, they were really good rifles, functioned great, good accuracy etc...but I won't own a gun I can't support.... IF another ban starts getting talked up I'll ditch the last one and consider it a lesson learned.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    At least the lower is SR25 and MWS compatible. You have many options, including buying a KAC SR25 upper, LMT MWS upper, or buying a stripped SR25 pattern upper and assembling it in your desired configuration.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Boy you said a friggen mouthful there! I owned THREE Sig 556 rifles, I have traded out of two of them and will NEVER, EVER buy another Sig in my life. Ever. Paid good coin for them and they dropped them like a bums dirty underwear, no support, no nothing. Honestly, they were really good rifles, functioned great, good accuracy etc...but I won't own a gun I can't support.... IF another ban starts getting talked up I'll ditch the last one and consider it a lesson learned.
    Bolt parts and internals are common, no?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Bolt parts and internals are common, no?

Not on the 556 rifles. Their AR15 types, sure but the 556 guns were Euro Style Sig Piston guns. Again, mine were great rifles but I'm not going to own a rifle where a $20 extractor that's unavailable means the gun is a friggen paper weight. And I don't do, "Send your gun to the factory" for service deals either...
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not on the 556 rifles. Their AR15 types, sure but the 556 guns were Euro Style Sig Piston guns. Again, mine were great rifles but I'm not going to own a rifle where a $20 extractor that's unavailable means the gun is a friggen paper weight. And I don't do, "Send your gun to the factory" for service deals either...
    Sorry. Quoted the wrong post.

I was commenting on the commonality of internal parts for the SR762.

Feedback Score
    Not on the 556 rifles. Their AR15 types, sure but the 556 guns were Euro Style Sig Piston guns. Again, mine were great rifles but I'm not going to own a rifle where a $20 extractor that's unavailable means the gun is a friggen paper weight.
    Many of the Sig 556 parts are readily compatible with the Swiss Arms 55X rifle parts and most of the small parts are available from Optics Planet. There are enough Sig 556 rifles out there that if a particular part did show a propensity to break, a small shop would start making it. I have a Sig 556 Classic and a Sig 556 SBR. I liked them so much that I bought three of the Swiss Arms 55X rifles. I could stock up on parts for the various discontinued rifles that I have, but then that would eat in to my budget for other guns. Mostly, I just take my chances and will attempt to buy if the need occurs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast