Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Red Flag laws going to be people’s line in the sand?

Feedback Score

Are the Red Flag laws going to be people’s line in the sand?

Right now, in most states, there is a perfectly legal way to get someone locked up, at least temporarily, with no due process.

They go to law enforcement, or get someone to go to the ER for something,
    And then state the person is suicidal, homicidal, psychotic, etc. and the person is involuntarily committed.

This is usually done for a valid reason,
    But to some degree it is abused.

When it is BS and abused, it still takes a day or two to get sorted out.

Now, the abuse of this is usually some spiteful, civil, etc. route.

We now have a version that will without any shred of doubt be politicized. It will also have another step where someone’s firearms have been seized. Some states have seriously left people out to dry legally in violation of FOPA and they maybe never got their guns back.

This red flag law stuff is not going to be pretty.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    "Are the Red Flag laws going to be people’s line in the sand?"

No.

There will be shrieking, teeth-gnashing, and rending of garments, but mostly online and by a relatively small population sample. The majority will either just shrug, or say "Good! Finally".

Feedback Score
    No. It will just cause gun owners to toe the straight line and keep a low profile. I already don't tell anyone outside a tiny circle of contacts that I even own guns.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

Are the Red Flag laws going to be people’s line in the sand?

Nobody is turning in magazines in NJ. Or bumpstocks around the country (but for a Texas gun store). Maryland man already died defending his home from police over red flag laws. The line in the sand is already crossed. Missouri’s new proposals and sanctuary counties around the county are making this the red line official.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we start seeing unregistered NFA items popping up more frequently. Homemade guns are growing in popularly. People are weary of tyranny. It’s mostly the boomers and their marketing money pushing this anymore.

Feedback Score
    In the same way that the current invol system is abused a little bit by spiteful people,
    I see the red flag laws being used on a larger, spiteful, political, etc. scale.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Doc Safari;2721471 I already don't tell anyone outside a tiny circle of contacts that I even own guns.[/QUOTE]

Why would you?

I treat firearms like any other object I own. If I'm not going to tell people I own a stapler I'm not going to tell them about guns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    In the same way that the current invol system is abused a little bit by spiteful people,
    I see the red flag laws being used on a larger, spiteful, political, etc. scale.
    Nope.

The universe doesn’t actually give a crap what you do. Some people seem to think that they are the direct target of these things.

Look at the number of 4473 violations that aren’t followed up on, crime in general that isn’t gone after. Now you think that they are going to name 10% of the phone book? How many of these could even a large county serve a day? 3? Most less than 1?

Could it be abused? Sure. You can get SWATed right now with almost the same end effect.

We always say that it is the person, not the guns. When they actually play the person, and not the guns, you have to support at least the concept. I am frankly, I don’t understand why we actually even need the laws. Either someone is a threat to the community and need to be dealt with, or they’re not. Guns or not it really doesn’t make a difference.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Why would you?

I treat firearms like any other object I own. If I'm not going to tell people I own a stapler I'm not going to tell them about guns.

Is it red, Swingline?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I am frankly, I don’t understand why we actually even need the laws. Either someone is a threat to the community and need to be dealt with, or they’re not. Guns or not it really doesn’t make a difference.
    It's just more feel-good liberalism on parade. They just want to show their base they are doing something.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Why would you?

Twenty years ago firearms and outdoor sports were safe subjects of conversation at the bar, at dinner parties, at social gatherings, etc. Now you gotta refrain from even mentioning to someone who might be "the wrong people." Used to be you could talk about guns with your liberal friends without hearing a lecture about how "nobody needs an AR15". It's not that way anymore. I don't know how old you are, but I wish I could show people what it was like in the eighties and nineties when the MSM and the liberal politicians hadn't demonized gun owners to the point that you had better not admit you own guns in front of certain people.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast