Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 9mm 1911, which one?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    IMHO After watching my friends try to get their 1911 9mm guns to run reliably, the best 9mm 1911 is the Browning HiPower.
    Hi Powers are great, but they need about 10% or 25% more 1911 to be truly fantastic. If someone made Hi Powers with front- and backstrap checkering and a pic rail on the dust cover, I think the Hi Power would still be very relevant today. But they don't, so it isn't - it isn't even as relevant as 9mm 1911s.

ETA: Actually, it's [current year]. If I wanted a Hi Power, I'd go with a Wilson EDC X9 instead. Although Wilson needs to make an optics-ready version.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 03-13-19 at 12:57.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    IMHO After watching my friends try to get their 1911 9mm guns to run reliably, the best 9mm 1911 is the Browning HiPower.
    My SA has never malf'd in a couple thousand rounds. Your friends must have bought shit somewhere in the equation, Gun-ammo-mags or all the above. And Ill run shit wolf through mine without issue.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    My SA has never malf'd in a couple thousand rounds. Your friends must have bought shit somewhere in the equation, Gun-ammo-mags or all the above. And Ill run shit wolf through mine without issue.

PB
    I honestly don’t know what they were shooting in which brand guns. Four of them made a pact to all bring 9mm 1911s to an IDPA shoot and there were monkeys raping footballs everywhere. A fifth guy (doctor who only buys high end stuff) has one he shoots most of the time and it runs well, until it doesn’t. My guess would be underpowered ammo when it doesn’t.

I’ve had my BHP since the late 1980s and it has only jammed twice on experimental reloads. The armorer at my first agency removed the magazine safety before he let me qualify with it the first time. A couple of years ago I had Novak’s put decent sights on it (truth be told I got too old to see the OEM ones).

I like my 1911s and frequently carry my 10mm SR1911, but my BHP holds a special place. I really need a second one...
    Dammit! This thread is going to cost me money.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    I bought a brand new Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer 9mm and it is reliable with a wide variety of ammunition. Accuracy is disappointing.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score

Cool

I have a Colt Combat Commander in 9MM and have had zero problems with it after replacing the mag springs and followers with Tripp kits. I also picked up some Wilson Elite mags which were good from the start. No MIM parts problems with it or any other Colt 1911s I have ever owned (more than one;less than 100). It's a great pistol. Soft shooter and VERY accurate. Good luck with your DW.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just picked up a Colt CCU in 9mm, and shot 300rd of 124gr NATO through it. Wonderful pistol, shot POA at 25m, and was 100% flawless in function with factory mags. I am very happy with it for a blaster. It noticeably slicked up in the range session. I plan on burning it to the ground.
    Kiowa pilot turned Hooker.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CFII View Post
    I just picked up a Colt CCU in 9mm, and shot 300rd of 124gr NATO through it. Wonderful pistol, shot POA at 25m, and was 100% flawless in function with factory mags. I am very happy with it for a blaster. It noticeably slicked up in the range session. I plan on burning it to the ground.
    That’s good, Sensei had a terrible experience with his and their CS. I wanted to like that gun but just was not willing to risk it. I’ve yet to put any NATO through mine but I’ve been stocking up on the Winchester stuff so I’m curious to see if I can tell a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That’s good, Sensei had a terrible experience with his and their CS. I wanted to like that gun but just was not willing to risk it. I’ve yet to put any NATO through mine but I’ve been stocking up on the Winchester stuff so I’m curious to see if I can tell a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea, I guess I rolled the dice, but I found one online NIB for $1050ish, and went for it. I was apprehensive, believe me. But so far, so good. I am substantially more impressed with it than I thought I would be. Its the first Colt Ive owned, my current 1911s are a Nighthawk and a Novak Springfield.
    Kiowa pilot turned Hooker.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't forget S&W makes a very nice 1911 pattern 9mm, external extractor is only concession to legacy design.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    the best 9mm 1911 is the Browning HiPower.
    I thought along similar lines until I picked up a CZ75 SP01 and converted it to single-action only. I was actually considering a 1911 in 9mm, but bought the CZ instead. The non-tapered slide and chunky front end of the SP01 makes it feel more like a 1911 than a BHP, which feels muzzle-light in comparison. It's also easier to get a 1911-like trigger pull with the CZ with aftermarket parts than with the BHP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast