Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scope for Zeroing

Feedback Score

Spotting Scope for Zeroing

Looking for some recommendations for a good spotting scope for zeroing AR's. Something I can quickly and easily see holes in paper out to 200 yards.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Looking for some recommendations for a good spotting scope for zeroing AR's. Something I can quickly and easily see holes in paper out to 200 yards.
    I have a few vintage Unertls for sale, 20 & 24X power, $200 - $350.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    Looking for something new

Feedback Score
    Boots, new boots.

Feedback Score
    Hum, nobody use spotting scopes for zeroing anymore?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m looking hard at the Vortex Razor HD 11-33mm because of optical quality and compact size for backpacking. It would also be used at the range for zeroing. I think it would work well in this regard.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I use the Leupold mk something 12-40 with the Horus mil reticle and its awesome. I used to spot out to 200 this weekend without a problem.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What's your budget? If all you are doing is sighting in a couple of rifles you probably don't need a two thousand dollar scope.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What's your budget? If all you are doing is sighting in a couple of rifles you probably don't need a two thousand dollar scope.
    I want to quickly and clearly see the holes in the paper. I’ve got a $500 scope that I can just barely make out the holes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Spotting Scope for Zeroing

At least for my eyes, I want minimum 15x per hundred yards to see .223 bullet holes and 20x per hundred is better yet. 8x-10x per hundred yds. is fine for .308” holes. So I would try to find a spotting scope that at least goes to 40x and at least 60mm objective lens for 200 yd spotting. I have a compact Leupold which is clear enough but fairly small ocular lens. That is the minimum size scope I would want. It makes up for it by being very handy to haul around. It is a 15-30x50mm objective I think. When you get up to 60x and 80mm that is a honkin’ piece of equipment and needs a strong tripod/mount.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 03-12-19 at 22:31.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast