View Poll Results: Which 1 of the 3 barrel options would you go with?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • DD CHF LW 16" mid length

17 35.42%
  • Criterion Pencil CL 223 Wylde 16" mid length

9 18.75%
  • Spike's Optimal Contour 16" mid length

2 4.17%
  • Other

20 41.67%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Barrel Options [DD, Criterion, Spikes]

Feedback Score

Lightweight Barrel Options [DD, Criterion, Spikes]

Hi, I've decided to build my first AR, rather than to buy a complete rifle, and I'm struggling to decide on which barrel to get. I've decided to go with a lightweight (pencil) barrel, but I don't know enough to make a final decision. The intended use for the rifle is HD/SHTF/plinking. From the little research I've been doing, I've come up with 3 possible options:

1) Daniel Defense CHF LW 16" mid length - $349 (gas block included)
    2) Criterion Pencil CL 223 Wylde 16" mid length - $314 (w/ bcm LPGB)
    3) Spike's Optimal Contour CHF 16" mid length - $305 (w/ bcm LPGB)

What I'm looking for is the best value when considering accuracy, durability, reliability, and accuracy retention(maintaining consistent MOA figures after barrel heats up).

They're all priced somewhat similarly, so I don't mind spending a bit more money if one particular barrel really outshines the other. I don't plan on buying another barrel for many years, so I'd like to buy once and cry once. Any and all insight from personal experience and/or expertise on the subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinel77 View Post
    Hi, I've decided to build my first AR, rather than to buy a complete rifle, and I'm struggling to decide on which barrel to get. I've decided to go with a lightweight (pencil) barrel, but I don't know enough to make a final decision. The intended use for the rifle is HD/SHTF/plinking. From the little research I've been doing, I've come up with 3 possible options:

1) Daniel Defense CHF LW 16" mid length - $349 (gas block included)
    2) Criterion Pencil CL 223 Wylde 16" mid length - $314 (w/ bcm LPGB)
    3) Spike's Optimal Contour CHF 16" mid length - $305 (w/ bcm LPGB)

What I'm looking for is the best value when considering accuracy, durability, reliability, and accuracy retention(maintaining consistent MOA figures after barrel heats up).

They're all priced somewhat similarly, so I don't mind spending a bit more money if one particular barrel really outshines the other. I don't plan on buying another barrel for many years, so I'd like to buy once and cry once. Any and all insight from personal experience and/or expertise on the subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Put this one on your list> https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...16-elw-std.htm You might also look at a complete BCM upper. It would make sense if you don't have 100% of the tools needed to properly assemble an upper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Put this one on your list> https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...16-elw-std.htm You might also look at a complete BCM upper. It would make sense if you don't have 100% of the tools needed to properly assemble an upper.
    Yea thanks. I considered that option, but a lot of people seemed to have mixed results with it. Some people had no issues, while others reported pretty bad POI shifts when the barrel got hot. Appreciate the input!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Yea thanks. I considered that option, but a lot of people seemed to have mixed results with it. Some people had no issues, while others reported pretty bad POI shifts when the barrel got hot. Appreciate the input!
    Where did you see people having issues? As a general rule, 99.9% BCM anything is better than 99.9% Spikes anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Where did you see people having issues? As a general rule, 99.9% BCM anything is better than 99.9% Spikes anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've seen ppl say it on these forums and on ar15.com. One dude mentioned how his barrel went from 2" to 8" groups once the barrel got toasty. His barrel could be an outlier, but I havent seen anyone say the same thing about the 3 options mentioned above. I think BCM is more than solid, but I dont want to take any risks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally, I like the LaRue Tactical PredatAR barrels when I want a lightweight type profile. I have one build with a 16" PredatAR barrel and another that I building with one now.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Personally, I like the LaRue Tactical PredatAR barrels when I want a lightweight type profile. I have one build with a 16" PredatAR barrel and another that I building with one now.
    Hmm, didn't even think of it. I'll definitely be considering it. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-in...um-barrel.html

This option weighs in at a whopping 22oz and it’s backed by BA’s accuracy guarantee
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I've seen ppl say it on these forums and on ar15.com. One dude mentioned how his barrel went from 2" to 8" groups once the barrel got toasty. His barrel could be an outlier, but I havent seen anyone say the same thing about the 3 options mentioned above. I think BCM is more than solid, but I dont want to take any risks.
    You want to eliminate risk but you are considering a Spikes barrel??? You want to eliminate risk but you are putting stock in AR15 opinions??? I cannot imagine a BCM barrel going from 2 moa to 8 moa if you heated it with a torch. Same for any barrel. Even if they would how would that affect your choice for a (in your words) HD/SHTF/plinking barrel?? HD/SHTF/plinking use doesn't relate to doing mag dumps at the berm. I guess it might if the mall was being overrun by ZOMBIES.
    Last edited by GH41; 03-12-19 at 18:24.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Dude. You saw what Wick did with a enhanced lightweight-fluted BCM barrel. Tell me you can outshoot him. Go ahead.

But as a budget option:
    https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-in...ce-barrel.html

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast