View Poll Results: Which 1 of the 3 barrel options would you go with?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • DD CHF LW 16" mid length

17 35.42%
  • Criterion Pencil CL 223 Wylde 16" mid length

9 18.75%
  • Spike's Optimal Contour 16" mid length

2 4.17%
  • Other

20 41.67%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Barrel Options [DD, Criterion, Spikes]

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinel77 View Post

(1) Hi, I've decided to build my first AR, rather than to buy a complete rifle

(2) I've decided to go with a lightweight (pencil) barrel, but

(3) I don't know enough to make a final decision.

(4) What I'm looking for is the best value when considering ... accuracy retention(maintaining consistent MOA figures after barrel heats up).

(5) I don't plan on buying another barrel for many years, so I'd like to buy once and cry once.

(6) Any and all insight from personal experience and/or expertise on the subject is greatly appreciated.Thanks!
    (1) Why? See (3)

(2) Why? See (3)

(3) Exactly. But this doesn’t just apply to barrels, it applies to everything AR related. Why do you think you can build something that is of higher “durability” and “value” (your own words) than Colt, BCM, Sionics, etc can? Is that really likely? You say you want a lightweight barrel but then want good MOA accuracy as it heats up. Sorry man, physics is a thing and even good branding can’t get rid of that. A LW barrel will heat up more quickly and string vertically more than the equivalent standard barrel will (govt profile issues aside)

Don’t misunderstand me. None of us can make a decision for you either. You have given us nothing to go off of other than “HD SHTF Plinking” for the use of this rifle. This thread is going to give you 500 guys posting “this is the barrel I got. It’s great”. They never provide context. There is never a set standard. You always hear things like “MOA” but I’ve yet to see these magical “MOA” carbines everyone has shoot 3” at 300 yards. In short, the answers are useless and nothing you don’t already know (as evidenced by your 3 choices not including “Bushmaster”)

You never explained your experience level (guessing novice since it’s your first?) and you’re asking a group, 50% of which are collecting social security and carry their rifle from their BIG TEXAS RIG pickup truck to the shooting bench, 45% of which may have been an admin clerk in the Air Force during peacetime or attended a few carbine matches, and the 5% who can genuinely help you just go “Bah. I can’t be bothered.” Tell us what you’d really plan on doing with this rifle and the 45% can be pretty helpful. Be specific. Is your local range only 100y? Do you plan on shooting out further? You could shoot a Glock at 100y accurately with enough time, it’s not necessary to worry about barrels and profiles at that distance and without time limits.

If you really want something that will give you many years of happiness I suggest buying a complete rifle from a known maker and getting to know it thoroughly. Don’t bother with gimmicks or get sucked into the marketing. Your arm won’t fall off because you didn’t get the custom barrel that was 3oz lighter, but you will run into issues if you didn’t torque your barrel right, stake your castle but, or misaligned your gas block (unlikely, but who knows).

(4) Why? See (3)

(5) See (3)

(6) Happy to help.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-14-19 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^^^^^^

Buy a complete BCM. Then, build an AR. 2 is 1, anyway.
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bb223 View Post
    Out of those listed, Criterion.

In general, Colt.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod71164.aspx
    If I could buy the mid length barrel in the 6960 I definitely would

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    (1) Why? See (3)

(2) Why? See (3)

(3) Exactly. But this doesn’t just apply to barrels, it applies to everything AR related. Why do you think you can build something that is of higher “durability” and “value” (your own words) than Colt, BCM, Sionics, etc can? Is that really likely? You say you want a lightweight barrel but then want good MOA accuracy as it heats up. Sorry man, physics is a thing and even good branding can’t get rid of that. A LW barrel will heat up more quickly and string vertically more than the equivalent standard barrel will (govt profile issues aside)

Don’t misunderstand me. None of us can make a decision for you either. You have given us nothing to go off of other than “HD SHTF Plinking” for the use of this rifle. This thread is going to give you 500 guys posting “this is the barrel I got. It’s great”. They never provide context. There is never a set standard. You always hear things like “MOA” but I’ve yet to see these magical “MOA” carbines everyone has shoot 3” at 300 yards. In short, the answers are useless and nothing you don’t already know (as evidenced by your 3 choices not including “Bushmaster”)

You never explained your experience level (guessing novice since it’s your first?) and you’re asking a group, 50% of which are collecting social security and carry their rifle from their BIG TEXAS RIG pickup truck to the shooting bench, 45% of which may have been an admin clerk in the Air Force during peacetime or attended a few carbine matches, and the 5% who can genuinely help you just go “Bah. I can’t be bothered.” Tell us what you’d really plan on doing with this rifle and the 45% can be pretty helpful. Be specific. Is your local range only 100y? Do you plan on shooting out further? You could shoot a Glock at 100y accurately with enough time, it’s not necessary to worry about barrels and profiles at that distance and without time limits.

If you really want something that will give you many years of happiness I suggest buying a complete rifle from a known maker and getting to know it thoroughly. Don’t bother with gimmicks or get sucked into the marketing. Your arm won’t fall off because you didn’t get the custom barrel that was 3oz lighter, but you will run into issues if you didn’t torque your barrel right, stake your castle but, or misaligned your gas block (unlikely, but who knows).

(4) Why? See (3)

(5) See (3)

(6) Happy to help.
    I intend on using the rifle at the range out to 200 yards, but for practical applications I don't see myself using it beyond 150 yards. I heard somewhere that most combat engagements take place within 100 yards. I want a barrel that's maneuverable (hence, lightweight) and can maintain good accuracy (nothing over 2 MOA) over consecutive firing (10-20 shot groups). This will be my only rifle, so I need it to be reliable as I believe we're nearing the ever so discussed SHTF scenario and buying needed parts will not be an option. I'm open to other options. From what I'm reading lately, BA/Faxon/Sionics seem to be GTG options. Thanks for your input btw.
    Last edited by sentinel77; 03-14-19 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Based on your above criteria, the Sionics LW barrel will do excellent, and I'd be surprised to see any similar LW barrel do better. I can expand on that if needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Based on your above criteria, the Sionics LW barrel will do excellent, and I'd be surprised to see any similar LW barrel do better. I can expand on that if needed.
    Yea I'd like to hear about your experience with the barrel. How has it performed? What are the pros and cons of the barrel?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    (1) Why? See (3)

(2) Why? See (3)

(4) Why? See (3)

(5) See (3)

(6) Happy to help.
    All truth. And it takes a lot of effort to post answers like these multiple times a year, year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Yea I'd like to hear about your experience with the barrel. How has it performed? What are the pros and cons of the barrel?
    Literally no cons. I can call them on the phone, and I either get an answer or a call back. I've dealt with quite a few Sionics barrels so far, and keep recommending them since they keep meeting or exceeding expectations for their intended use.

I have experience with:
    One 16" medium weight mid-length gas.
    Two LW 16" mid-length gas.
    Six 18" medium weight rifle-length gas.
    (^not all owned by me, nor the only brand I own)

They are all accurate enough in their intended roles that if they won't do the job, it's the wrong tool for the job. When someone starts shooting with me (and is new to shooting), I generally recommend a Sionics LW barrel unless they have a very specific goal outside of general use. I watch thousands of rounds go downrange each April-October, and they perform consistently. It's not surprising for anyone to have an occasion great group, but I take note of what provides good groups all the time. Unless it's a precision rig, I don't usually even shot groups anymore beyond sighting them in, although I'll shoot an occasional group if I'm experimenting or sighting in, I'd rather run courses or stages with them.

They aren't the only correct answer. BCM, BRT, Colt, DD, and a few other companies make good barrels, too. But they are incredibly hard to beat at their price point and the level of support. (When I don't buy Sionics, it's probably because I bought a BRT barrel).
    Last edited by opngrnd; 03-14-19 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    How has the performance been with your sionics lw barrels? Do they handle heat well? What kind of accuracy are your getting and what ammo does it like best from your experience?
    They perform great in the classes I run them in, I don't shoot them from a bench other than to sight in, but they have acceptable accuracy with both M855 and M193 for the type of shooting I do. I haven't noticed any major POA/POI shifts from heating up but again I not not shoot off a bench and don't use my Black Hills 77gr OTM, that's not what they are for.

For the money, I think one would be hard pressed to find a better LW barrel and the crew at SIONICS is second to none. That said if this is going to be your one and only AR, do yourself a big favor and buy at least a complete upper if not a full rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    They aren't the only correct answer. BCM, BRT, Colt, DD, and a few other companies make good barrels, too. But they are incredibly hard to beat at their price point and the level of support. (When I don't buy Sionics, it's probably because I bought a BRT barrel).
    I personally think we are in the time of the little shops. Colt is the measuring stick but any more I'll buy from BCM and SIONICS over them.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 03-14-19 at 13:45.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    LOL. Now take a guess who makes the BCM ones.
    The same place that makes PSA.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast