View Poll Results: Which 1 of the 3 barrel options would you go with?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • DD CHF LW 16" mid length

17 35.42%
  • Criterion Pencil CL 223 Wylde 16" mid length

9 18.75%
  • Spike's Optimal Contour 16" mid length

2 4.17%
  • Other

20 41.67%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Barrel Options [DD, Criterion, Spikes]

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    They aren't the only correct answer. BCM, BRT, Colt, DD, and a few other companies make good barrels, too. But they are incredibly hard to beat at their price point and the level of support. (When I don't buy Sionics, it's probably because I bought a BRT barrel).
    I’ve got two BRT barrels, a 16” lightweight and a 14” medium weight that I’ve assembled with URX4’s, but not yet fired. I really like the profiles on these barrels, and can’t wait to see if they meet my expectations.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’ve got two BRT barrels, a 16” lightweight and a 14” medium weight that I’ve assembled with URX4’s, but not yet fired. I really like the profiles on these barrels, and can’t wait to see if they meet my expectations.
    Excellent barrels! I own those two as well as my "off the beaten path" projects, but they are dedicated rifles. The P&W 14" w/ SF brake is awaiting the suppressor at almost 9 months, and the 16" is my "tuned daily driver". Excellent barrels, but set up for 5.56, and many people buy underpowered 223 ammo. I'd feel bad if I recommended a BRT that didn't run the underpowered ammo well, and I feel that the Sionics LW has a tad more gas drive which may be more forgiving for the plug and play purchaser. The BRT barrels do seem nigh unbeatable if you are willing to play around with your set up a little.

Ritz-I'm a big Colt fan, but like I often say "Sionics/BCM/etc is what you'd get if Colt cared about you." It's a great time to be a purchaser with the many excellent options.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Except that BCM lays out exacting standards and performs multiple checks on barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    The same place that makes PSA.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Except that BCM lays out exacting standards and performs multiple checks on barrels.
    Kind of like how Noveske does for their FN CHF barrels but not as extreme?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Literally no cons. I can call them on the phone, and I either get an answer or a call back. I've dealt with quite a few Sionics barrels so far, and keep recommending them since they keep meeting or exceeding expectations for their intended use.

I have experience with:
    One 16" medium weight mid-length gas.
    Two LW 16" mid-length gas.
    Six 18" medium weight rifle-length gas.
    (^not all owned by me, nor the only brand I own)

They are all accurate enough in their intended roles that if they won't do the job, it's the wrong tool for the job. When someone starts shooting with me (and is new to shooting), I generally recommend a Sionics LW barrel unless they have a very specific goal outside of general use. I watch thousands of rounds go downrange each April-October, and they perform consistently. It's not surprising for anyone to have an occasion great group, but I take note of what provides good groups all the time. Unless it's a precision rig, I don't usually even shot groups anymore beyond sighting them in, although I'll shoot an occasional group if I'm experimenting or sighting in, I'd rather run courses or stages with them.

They aren't the only correct answer. BCM, BRT, Colt, DD, and a few other companies make good barrels, too. But they are incredibly hard to beat at their price point and the level of support. (When I don't buy Sionics, it's probably because I bought a BRT barrel).

Okay, thanks for your feedback. I think I'm heavily considering the sionics lw right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I've heard conflicting accounts of the BCM barrels. Some say they're great and others say they're mediocre. I think BCM is overall a solid option, but I want to remove as much doubt as I can in the process.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    They perform great in the classes I run them in, I don't shoot them from a bench other than to sight in, but they have acceptable accuracy with both M855 and M193 for the type of shooting I do. I haven't noticed any major POA/POI shifts from heating up but again I not not shoot off a bench and don't use my Black Hills 77gr OTM, that's not what they are for.

For the money, I think one would be hard pressed to find a better LW barrel and the crew at SIONICS is second to none. That said if this is going to be your one and only AR, do yourself a big favor and buy at least a complete upper if not a full rifle.

I personally think we are in the time of the little shops. Colt is the measuring stick but any more I'll buy from BCM and SIONICS over them.
    Okay, thanks. I'm leaning towards the Sionics at the moment.

Feedback Score
    Has this been posted?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JerDerv View Post
    Has this been posted?
    Been watching mrgunsngear vids to get a better idea of what to buy lol. I was impressed by the sionics patrol rifle he reviewed and really blown away by the ddm4 v11 lw's accuracy. Thanks for sharing!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The OPTIMUM LPR is a great choice in the light weight barrel category.

The EXT gas system is longer than mid length and is designed specifically for 16" barrels to optimize timing and overall gas drive.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Excellent barrels! I own those two as well as my "off the beaten path" projects, but they are dedicated rifles. The P&W 14" w/ SF brake is awaiting the suppressor at almost 9 months, and the 16" is my "tuned daily driver". Excellent barrels, but set up for 5.56, and many people buy underpowered 223 ammo. I'd feel bad if I recommended a BRT that didn't run the underpowered ammo well, and I feel that the Sionics LW has a tad more gas drive which may be more forgiving for the plug and play purchaser. The BRT barrels do seem nigh unbeatable if you are willing to play around with your set up a little.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast