View Poll Results: Which 1 of the 3 barrel options would you go with?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • DD CHF LW 16" mid length

17 35.42%
  • Criterion Pencil CL 223 Wylde 16" mid length

9 18.75%
  • Spike's Optimal Contour 16" mid length

2 4.17%
  • Other

20 41.67%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lightweight Barrel Options [DD, Criterion, Spikes]

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The OPTIMUM LPR is a great choice in the light weight barrel category.

The EXT gas system is longer than mid length and is designed specifically for 16" barrels to optimize timing and overall gas drive.
    The EXT gas system makes even quality regular barrels feel overgassed. Especially if you head back to carbine setups with carbine gas/carbine RE.

Feedback Score
    To be honest, buying a barrel from a known quality manufacturer (Colt, BCM, Criterion, Sionics, etc.) isn't going to net you much difference between them. As alluded to elsewhere, when you pay a little extra for one of these barrels, you're also paying for the QC methods and tolerances that come with them.

For the uses you listed, you aren't likely to notice a lick of difference between them.

That said, I also second the suggestion to buy a complete upper assembled by a known quality shop. You don't want to be in the position of knowing you bought quality components, but don't know if bubba gunsmith at the local shop actually assembled everything together (assuming you're not doing it yourself, which is a whole different set of questions). If you don't go the factory route, you'll always be wondering if any shortcomings in performance are from you or a questionable assembly job.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Great point. Never considered that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by

That said, I also second the suggestion to buy a complete upper assembled by a known quality shop. You don't want to be in the position of knowing you bought quality components, but don't know if bubba gunsmith at the local shop actually assembled everything together (assuming you're not doing it yourself, which is a whole different set of questions). If you don't go the factory route, you'll always be wondering if any shortcomings in performance are from [I
    you[/I] or a questionable assembly job.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456