Thread: sanding down grips

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

sanding down grips

I have some VZ or Gunner grips that are supper aggressive. When drawing and shooting high round count days, my hands are taking a beating. Ive heard of people sanding them down, any feedback or ideas??

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve done it PB.
    400 grit, I don’t get too aggressive - just break sharp edges.

And I use VZs Gatorback on all my range 1911s.
    Last edited by gaijin; 03-12-19 at 16:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the same grips. I used my knife whetstone to break the sharp edges. Not long after I got them I used my Colt .38 super in a very wet, rain all day 2 gun match. Everything was soaked and my hands were very wet for hours. With grip tape on the front strap and the VZ's on the sides my grip was never in question.

Feedback Score
    I used 600 grit on some VZ's and it made them a little to smooth. They still had texture but were slick, no longer really that useable- it's hard to describe. The ones I had were the VZ Ghost operator grips on a WC commander.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m going to give it a whirl, these grips are a bit too sharp but I’ll go very slow on it. Thanks for your replies.

PB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've used sandpaper on Operator IIs. I don't recall what grit I used, but it didn't take much effort at all to knock down the points. There was no visible difference, but it sure improved comfort.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I need to do this to my M&P 2.0 EDC gun. People complained that the Smith was smooth, and there were amateur stippling jobs. 2.0 is very rough. 400 grit and go easy?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This is why i much rather have canvas micarta over G10

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You should really consider using a mask or respirator when sanding or grinding it, and properly dispose of any dust residue. It’s really not good to inhale any of it. If you research this, you see that working with G10 is pretty scary without the proper protections.

Last edited by RMF; 04-14-19 at 21:06.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I knocked them down and it worked very nicely.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"