Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap but decent accessories: Watches and Eyewear

Feedback Score

Cheap but decent accessories: Watches and Eyewear

So I just went on vacation to the beautiful state of Florida, and bent my Ray-Bans I bought with my bonus money over 14 years ago, I loved those Sun Glasses, I still have my Dad's Ray-Ban Aviators he wore in the Air Force, but those have a ton of sentimental value.

Then today my Garmin Instinct that I paid about $400 dollars for 2 years broke when I was helping put in a leveling kit on my friends truck, so my question to all of you is, what is decent and relatively cheap for Sun Glasses and a Watch. I'm a Marine, older, fatter and with thinning hair but still break stuff all the time, and just don't want to invest in something that is in some ways perishable. Here's what I'm looking at and please let me know if you have any recommendation.

-Sun Glasses: magpul.com/magpul-explorer-xl-eyewear.html?mp_eyewear_color_lense=340&mp_eyewear_polarization=598&mp_eyewear_color_frame=310
    They can easily double as range glasses which I like, and the style fits me, and $100 doesn't really break the bank. The negative is that Magpul wanting to be 5.11 and have their logo on everything.

-Watch: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BX6B2316/...lig_dp_it&th=1
    I had a $50 Casio that was rugged and got me through multiple deployments and even had a built in compass but they don't seem to sell that anymore, I'm ready to go back to a decent watch that just tells time, I can swim in and not worry if it breaks. Negatives, I'm not sure about Fossel but I like the style for work, and out in town.

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Check out Safety Glasses USA https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/
    Good & cheap sunglasses that are safety rated. Also many are available as bifocal readers.

This Casio is my "disposable" watch: Casio Men's HDC-700-1AVCF Classic Analog-Digital Display Quartz Black Watch. $32 at Amazon; ten year battery.
    My dressier watch is a Seiko ecoDrive. Solar powered. Around $150-$200. Had one 15+ years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    -Sun Glasses: magpul.com/magpul-explorer-xl-eyewear.html?mp_eyewear_color_lense=340&mp_eyewear_polarization=598&mp_eyewear_color_frame=310
    They can easily double as range glasses which I like, and the style fits me, and $100 doesn't really break the bank. The negative is that Magpul wanting to be 5.11 and have their logo on everything.
    I have both polarized and non-polarized Explorer XLs. Fit, coverage, clarity, durability all good, dropped and flung them several times in typical use. The polarized picked up a couple small blems off center but they're still ok. No large impacts from steel yet but it probably won't be long.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've thrown a lot of money away on middle ground watches. ($100-$300). I finally settled on something G-shock solar (since a battery replacement is nearly the price of new watch) if I'm going cheap beater. Lately though, I'm liking the mechanical watch dial over digital (specifically dive style watches), and WillBrink talked me into the Marathon GSAR. They sell add on compasses if that's something you want. But with watches, there's a million options.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So I just went on vacation to the beautiful state of Florida, and bent my Ray-Bans I bought with my bonus money over 14 years ago, I loved those Sun Glasses, I still have my Dad's Ray-Ban Aviators he wore in the Air Force, but those have a ton of sentimental value.

Then today my Garmin Instinct that I paid about $400 dollars for 2 years broke when I was helping put in a leveling kit on my friends truck, so my question to all of you is, what is decent and relatively cheap for Sun Glasses and a Watch. I'm a Marine, older, fatter and with thinning hair but still break stuff all the time, and just don't want to invest in something that is in some ways perishable. Here's what I'm looking at and please let me know if you have any recommendation.

-Watch: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BX6B2316/...lig_dp_it&th=1
    I had a $50 Casio that was rugged and got me through multiple deployments and even had a built in compass but they don't seem to sell that anymore, I'm ready to go back to a decent watch that just tells time, I can swim in and not worry if it breaks. Negatives, I'm not sure about Fossel but I like the style for work, and out in town.

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.
    I approach those like guns, buy once cry once and life is too short for crappy sun glasses and watches.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've thrown a lot of money away on middle ground watches. ($100-$300). I finally settled on something G-shock solar (since a battery replacement is nearly the price of new watch) if I'm going cheap beater. Lately though, I'm liking the mechanical watch dial over digital (specifically dive style watches), and WillBrink talked me into the Marathon GSAR. They sell add on compasses if that's something you want. But with watches, there's a million options.
    You know you love it, and it will out live you. If I didn't have so many watches, I'd get one those too.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    You know you love it, and it will out live you. If I didn't have so many watches, I'd get one those too.
    It's on my wrist right now! I do love it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I approach those like guns, buy once cry once and life is too short for crappy sun glasses and watches.
    I get this, but I also know that a gun needs to work in that most critical of times, an accessory like watch or sun glasses not so much. I've got a really nice Citizen from my father in law when I got married, and I really appreciate it and wear it at weddings and formal events, but I work with large scale medical equipment now, where I'm meeting with a team of doctors one minute and then shoving my hand into conduit troughs in crawl spaces the next. I remember when I started working at a large scale hydraulic company right out of college, I went to Macy's and bought lots of nice shirts and slacks for the office, but then found myself on the floor getting hydraulic fluid all over my new cloths. It was Target and TJ Max after that.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've thrown a lot of money away on middle ground watches. ($100-$300).
    I guess that's what I'm saying I'm okay with doing, although I would like to stick more on the $100-$180 end of things. I'm still young and my boys are not going to be eating any less.

Feedback Score
    I would skip out on the Fossil, their watches are nothing more than fashion accessories, and they don't really have that timeless look, either.

If you're okay with digital, I would just get a cheap-o G-shock. If you want analog, I would say look at the Timex quartz analogs. Perhaps something like the Navi XL:
    https://timex.com/products/navi-xl-4...atch-tw2v45300
    https://timex.com/products/navi-xl-4...atch-tw2t75600

Ray-Ban is on GovX, should you qualify. 40% off MSRP, though I don't know how that compares to street. I personally wouldn't use those Magpuls for eye pro, as the page notes, they're not actually rated for anything, due to the gaps that the frame has, even if it can meet the impact requirements.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 08-10-23 at 12:02.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I guess that's what I'm saying I'm okay with doing, although I would like to stick more on the $100-$180 end of things. I'm still young and my boys are not going to be eating any less.
    My lesson was to just stick with a 75-125 dollar G-shock until I could get serious. I wasted money on a Seiko "black monster" automatic, for example. I can't remember how much, but it was money down the drain.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast