Page 1 of 149 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: First line belts

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

First line belts

How many mags are you guys running on your first line rigs? Right now I'm running four pistol mags and one AR mag. So far, this seems about right for me. If I use a Redi-mag, this seems like more than enough for most classes. Plus the belt works great for the Blackwater Practical Shooters Steel Challenge matches that I attend whenever I can. All I have to do is switch out the 6004 for my Blade-Tech belt holster and I'm ready to go.

What kind of set-ups are you guys running?

My current set-up:

(1.) Two - Eagle (kydex lined) double 1911 mag pouches
    (2.) Eagle MLCS Single M4 FB mag pouch
    (3.) Eagle duty belt
    (4.) Eagle belt pad
    (5.) Eagle Duty Evidence Pouch
    (6.) Paraclete small GP pouch
    (7.) Safariland 6004 for 1911 w/X200
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I finally got this together and tried it out the other day. These pics are pre-adjustment, the holster had to be lowered, pouches moved, etc. Was trying out how best to grasp the mags as well. "Beercan" grip worked well on the AR mags.

Truth be told my real first line is a black leather dress belt, a black leather holster, my 1911, a couple of mags and a tin of Altoids. I should really stick to training with those but...

The duty belt is Eagle & the molle belt by ICE in MC (Thanks Giff!!!!!!). From left to right: 2 Eagle molle FB 1911 mag pouches in MC, one Eagle molle FB pouch for 4 1911 mags and 2 AR mags (cool pouch), Eagle SAS dump pouch in MC, Eagle molle BOK, HSGI drop leg holster w/2 mag pouches, EGL Gladdysack and Eagle molle pistol pouch (knife within).

This is set up for its use at the range hence the BOK, Gladdysack and knife pouch which are normally on my CIRAS. This should be nice when no vests or armor are required and its hot out, like it is now up here. I tried to ditch the two single FB pouches as 4 go in the other pouch and the holster holds 2 extra but the 2 in the holster are all but impossible to get to in good order and shouldn't be counted on for speed if that is what you require.

Some people have complained about how thick the new Eagle 1911/AR FB pouches are. For a vest maybe that is a concern but they are perfect IMO for a set up like this.

I can also add the 40mm sub load if need be.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Heres mine

Ice Tactical Belt pad
    2x Eagle M4 FB kydex pouches
    1 Tactical Tailor 2 mag pistol pouch
    1 Eggroll special pouch for a G2 light
    SOE Holster
    Maxpedition Rolly Polly dump pouch

Very comfortable and evenly balanced.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, I think some people over do it a bit on war belts.

Mine consists of:

Eagle Belt
    CLOCKWISE FROM BUCKLE

Eagle FB pouch for 5.56 mag
    SF 6004 with 1.5" UBL
    Multi-tool with sheath
    MM dump pouch (folded up when not in actual use)
    Two more Eagle FB 5.56 pouches
    Two Eagle FB pouches for .45 mags

My back-up light is somewhere in my pants. I haven't put on a pair of pants/shorts for years now that didn't have a SF light in them. Daylight or dark....always a light
    This worked great as a training set-up, and it is what's sitting around if I need/want something to grab and go.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    mcgrubbs must be referring to folks like me.

I am just a civilian, so this stuff is used for classes. I buy what is available at the time of purchase, so color and sizing may be a little off.

Medium Eagle duty belt with security buckle and medium belt pad
    You can tell from the leftover belt that it is too large for me. However, I find it to be very comfortable. Even though the pouches are broken in, no matter how tight I make the belt, if there is no subload attached, the belt tends to ride up when extracting mags. I would eventually like to get away from using the subload, but am not sure how to keep the belt in place without it.

Safariland 6004
    I prefer the ruggedness and security of the 6004 over regular kydex holsters for carbine classes. I wear mine nice and high, but keep both straps. I tried going without the top strap like most do, but for me it didn't feel as secure when drawing or moving.

CSM dump pouch
    May consume more real estate than others, but well worth it. My favorite piece of gear.

Eagle AR single duty mag pouch
    Fast and secure. It's either this or kydex.

Specter MOLLE thigh rig with Eagle M9 double magazine pouch and two Specter AR dual retention double magazine pouches
    I tried the Eagle leg platform, but I prefer the two straps and slightly smaller size of the Specter. With my short legs, the subload used to hang very low, bumping into my kneepad. David was kind enough to modify the system to ride higher.

The Eagle M9 pouches will hold one USP .45 mag or two 1911 mags. The flaps close by themselves, so even though there is no elastic band, retention with only one 1911 mag left is not an issue.

I prefer Eagle AR mag pouches, but the Specter ones were chosen specifically for their lack of elastic. With Eagle pouches, the elastic is tight enough that it is difficult for me to jam the second mag into the pouch one-handed when located on my thigh, as the belt will simply be pulled down. The pouches work well for me and single mag retention has not been a problem during movement. The buckles slow access and are simply too ninja for me, so I just leave them hanging.

Why so many mags? Well, they are necessary (because I don't use a chest rig). With the amount of shooting and tactical reloading that we do, it is not uncommon for me to step off the line with most of my mags in my dump pouch. There is a minor weight and mobility penalty, but I can deal with it, though I may eventually move to some sort of chest rig.

Surefire light pouch
    Cheap, but effective enough. Wish Eagle had a similar product.

Eagle .45 double duty mag pouch
    Fast and secure, kydex would be the only alternative. The location on the belt makes supported kneeling a bit uncomfortable as I am jabbed under the ribs. If I get rid of the light pouch or subload, I might be able to move these off to the side a bit.

That's all for my setup. I think I may need to stash some first aid somewhere.

cohiba, for the Eagle 2x4, have you tried folding the flaps like this?

I find it more streamlined, less likely to snag on anything, and offers better access to the pistol mags.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After going with little to no gear for the most part for my last few outings, I put a belt rig together a few days ago. I do not consider it a "first line" rig though, as I put it together with classes specifically in mind.

Base is an old SOE Riggers belt

Pistol mags - 3 TT kydex singles if I'm shooting the 1911, an Eggroll 4 banger if I'm shooting the Glock
    Rifle - a single Eagle FB pouch for the AR
    Holster: 6004 for the 1911, G-Code belt rig for the Glock (waiting on kydex for the 1911 because I hate droplegs of any kind and have no use for them)
    misc: Maxpedition Rolypoly for extras mags if needed

I have not yet found a suitable way to hold a first aid kit or Surefire. For now the light stays in a pocket and the FAK stays in the car.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Vinh-inator,

I think I went through what you are going through. I tried a 4 AR-mag subload before and thought it was too heavy. I bought an SKD Tactical Universal Tactical Vest and it works great. I was using it in the class we both attended. I only carried 4 mags on my chest and one on my belt and that was fine.

Feedback Score
    CCW from midline:

EGL 2x4 pouch - 2xM4, 4x1911/Glock
    PPM SF light pouch - same place as at work
    Dump pouch
    Small GP - Israeli dressing/lube/gloves/gun brush/whatever
    Fixed blade
    6004 - on a 2" SR buckle
    BHI Frag pouch - holds a small P&S digital cam well...
    PPM CGT pouch - tethered with a keyminder thing from work

Feedback Score
    Right now, I am running a Eagle duty belt, ICE molle belt pad, 4 TT single pistol mag pouches, 1 TT single AR mag shingle, Becker 7" knife in a Spec Ops sheath, and a 6004 for my Glock. I may end up adding one or two other items, and I may also put the 6004 body in one of the HSGI carriers.

Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    Here is a contrarian opinion, If I dont watch out I will get a reputation for this LOL

Ive went back to ca 1999 way of doing things. Rigger belt on pants, with pistol holster, mag pouch and fixed blade knife. Instead of Cold weather overpants suspenders I do have the HSGI suspenders. Survival gear (strobe, Aviators pannel, mirror and all that jazz in uniform pockets)

I used a Tac Tailor molle belt for awhile, but it tended to roll and I just didnt like it.

Advantages to this system: If your insert platform ditches in water you at least have pistol, pistol mags, knife and survival gear after getting rid of your vest. 2d is that if you have your pants, you always have this gear with you.

Disadvantage: You have to either get undressed, or just go to town tac'd out when grabbing a sammich from subway at a training class.

The only think I would like to find is some sort of horizontal rifle mag pouch.

Just my 2 cents based on my particular situation.
    Life is too short to deal with Blonde women, or carbine barrels over 10.5 inches

Page 1 of 149 1231151101 ... LastLast