Page 51 of 149 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: First line belts

Feedback Score

1st line belt knife?

Question: What does the Board recommend for a blade on your 1st line belt? Example: Strider fixed-blade or a Leatherman tool ?

Thanks.

So far on my belt (trying to keep it very simple):

belt
    suspenders
    dump pouch
    pistol holster
    dual magazine pouch (pistol mags)
    first aid kit in pouch
    and a knife/tool

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    My vote would be for a Leatherman. I would use it far more than a fixed blade knife.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    If its one or the other, carry a leatherman. I use them frequently enough that I added one to my duty belt for work. Makes life easier.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I used to carry a Leatherman on my belt in the field. I used it all the time. I carried one on my duty belt but almost never used it. It rides in my rifle bag now. I have a folder in my pocket on duty and a very small folder in my pocket off duty. There is another Leatherman in my truck and at home in my bedroom I use when I go hunting.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    I set up a belt rig for one purpose -as a quick grab and go ammo carrier in case the UN, Zombies, Black Panthers, or the extreme left comes knocking on my door.

With that in mind, if I were to carry a knife on my battle belt I would use a small fixed blade (my utility blade of choice is a RAT3). Chances are if I needed a tool, it would be a cutting tool to sever a seatbelt or to cut clothing for one purpose or another. I doubt I would worry about having the proper screwdriver bit in a SHTF situation! I mean, seriously, a battle belt is for carrying ammo into the fray. You aren't going to take the time to whip out a multi-tool to do some sort of jerry rigging in a gunfight. My leatherman stays in my bug-out bag, where it will be available if I need it.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    In my limited experience even in War you're more likely to use a multi tool than a fixed blade knife. I would assume most of us would use the rig more in training or the "field" than in a hand to hand fight. I think having both avaliable is a good idea. I think the knife is more likely to be used as a tool than a weapon. That said I carried a leatherman, K-Bar and a bayonet! I would have liked to have used one of the new bayonet/fighting knives if it had been an option.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 10-30-10 at 19:57.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    In my limited experience even in War you're more likely to use a multi tool than a fixed blade knife.
    Agreed 100%. But like I said, I set up a battle belt for gunfights, not war. And in my experience war is not necessarily gunfights.

My battle belt is grab and go ammo supply. That's pretty much it.
    a former meatpuppet.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Agreed 100%. But like I said, I set up a battle belt for gunfights, not war. And in my experience war is not necessarily gunfights.

My battle belt is grab and go ammo supply. That's pretty much it.
    I was takings the battle/war belt literally. I use a patrol bandoleer four ar mags and 2 pistol mags.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I use a patrol bandoleer four ar mags and 2 pistol mags.
    I've thought of rolling that way too. MM did that review on TAD Gear's bandoleer thing -looks handy. I just have a tough time dropping the cash they want for it. You should post a picture.
    a former meatpuppet.

Feedback Score

mentality

I have been thinking on the different scenerios one might encounter while utilizing your First Line Belt Kit and the mentality therein....

I can come up with two (2) main thoughts: 1) War 2) E&E/Bug Out/Survival

True to the thinking of these 2 scenerios, shouldn't your Kit be structured along which line you think you might be involved in?

I was reading the answers to a question I posed and the thinking was WAR vs UTILITY and this got me pondering the question of how my Belt Kit should be set-up.....

I am a certified firearms instructor and shoot weekly for myself and for "Beer money", most of my students/friends have the same thinking....."Isn't our goal to escape to a "safe zone" with our loved ones without being noticed and as quitely and descreetly as possible?"

Shouldn't our Belt Kit and 2nd/3rd Line Gear be structured with this in mind?

Cheers.

Page 51 of 149 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast