Thread: NFA wait and address change

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

NFA wait and address change

Seems like my plan to leave this Nazi crap hole may actually be happening. We are looking to relocate to NC in the next few months. Going to Free America makes me giddy to start buying things I was bared from owning behind enemy lines.

One such item would be a silencer.. or four.

At the beginning we will be renting while looking for a home. I plan to set up a Trust through Silencer Shop. The question is; should I wait to have a more "permanent" address before I buy and fill out the paperwork? Knowing that NFA times are long and I may move in that time, would the address change delay things or make it impossible to transfer a suppressor? I've been reading as much as I can on the topic but haven't seen an answer? Does the Trust make your address unimportant to the process assuming I update it in the Trust?

Thanks you in advance!
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

NFA wait and address change

Once your paperwork is submitted it shouldn’t matter. Will you still be local to whatever shop you transfer it through to begin with?

My last two cans I moved while they were pending and I never bothered to update my residence. This was in Virginia.

Not sure on the silencershop trusts. But my understanding a trust as an entity holds the same power wherever you reside so I don’t believe it requires updating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 03-12-19 at 21:38.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Welcome to NC, but don't be surprised if you move to one of the major urban areas if it still feels like you are behind enemy lines.

Some areas of NC are now more Yankee or foreign born than southern.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If you file it in State A, and move to State B before it’s approved...you have to cancel the stamp and start over after having it transferred to an FFL in State B. The exception would be if you still had an RP in State A that could pick it up and fill out the 4473.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 03-13-19 at 17:50. Reason: Fixing typos

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes, I plan on staying relatively local.

Currently, the work opportunity is in Raleigh so I will be renting within 20 min or downtown and looking for homes within a 45 minute commute or so.

My worry was if the address on the Form 4 doesn't match the address on the 4473. For instance, I order a suppressor in May, buy a house in November and move, and the transfer is approved in January and the addresses are different. Good to know it wont hurt me cause I am totally giddy at the thought of finally being able to buy fun stuff.

Thanks!
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    If you file it in State A, and move to State B before it’s approved...you don’t have to cancel try stamp and start over after having it transferred to an FFL in State B. The exception would be if you still had an RP in State A that could pick it up and fill out the 4473.
    That’s actually awesome to know. I think a lot of folks assume an out of state moves requires the F4 to be resubmitted, essentially starting over.

So the dealer just F3s the can to the new out of state FFL? And the forward the stamps when they come in or?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post

Currently, the work opportunity is in Raleigh so I will be renting within 20 min or downtown and looking for homes within a 45 minute commute or so.

My worry was if the address on the Form 4 doesn't match the address on the 4473. For instance, I order a suppressor in May, buy a house in November and move, and the transfer is approved in January and the addresses are different. Good to know it wont hurt me cause I am totally giddy at the thought of finally being able to buy fun stuff.

Thanks!
    Raleigh is really nice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post

Thanks!
    Sent you a PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    That’s actually awesome to know. I think a lot of folks assume an out of state moves requires the F4 to be resubmitted, essentially starting over.

So the dealer just F3s the can to the new out of state FFL? And the forward the stamps when they come in or?

No. Cancel the F4. F3 to other state. New F4 from in-state dealer.

I should’ve proofread. That’s not even close what I was attempting to say. Will go edit it now. Sorry for any confusion.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 03-13-19 at 17:50.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    No. Cancel the F4. F3 to other state. New F4 from in-state dealer.

I should’ve proofread. That’s not even close what I was attempting to say. Will go edit it now. Sorry for any confusion.
    Thanks, I was really confused. I just had to go through the cancel and resubmit process due to moving between states.
    Waiting for the new quick processing I keep hearing about...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.