Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight KISS Carbine

Feedback Score

Lightweight KISS Carbine

As attempted in another thread, I've been on the quest to build a basic, lightweight KISS carbine that emphasizes light weight as long as properly accessorized, and without resorting to an obsessive search for any and every part that might save a few ounces.

Bottom line: I want to take a stock, off-the-rack rifle, and modify or accessorize it to save weight without going nuts over every little ounce.

The actual purpose of this thread is to list my basic setup, then to read about other setups that might suggest a "tweak" or two for my own rifle.

My result:

1. Basic Rifle: Colt 6720 pencil barrel carbine (although in my case I had an HBAR 6721 rebarrelled to the pencil weight barrel).
    I personally prefer a barrel with the military FSB, but admittedly a pencil barrel with sight-less gas block would save a few ounces if you
    would rather run with no fixed sights.

2. Stock: Standard mil-spec stock or one with similarly light weight (your preference). I also use the Magpul CTR stock because it has the QD sling
    swivel socket, and seems to be not too much heavier than the standard stock unit.

3. Handguards: I tried many handguard/rail/flashlight/VFG combos and finally settled on the MagPul MOE handguards with polymer rail sections, QD sling socket, and TangoDown stubby VFG. Yes, there are lighter VFG's that I tried, but I decided I liked the feel and greater perceived durability of the TangoDown grip. I don't necessarily want to go gripless because the MOE handguards in my perception tend to heat up faster than standard ribbed milspec handguards. I'm a little concerned about the durability of the Magpul handguards, but for now they seemed to be the lightest, but most functional alternative.

4. Flashlight: I mounted the flashlight to the MOE handguard slots instead of using the Midwest Industries FSB mount because the FSB mount sort of shifts the rifle's balance a little too far forward for my taste. For the light itself I chose a Surefire G2 in a VLTOR mount (old school I know: that's 2010 calling to say it wants its light back). I started with a Streamlight TLR-3 due to it being almost weightless. While I look for a better solution, I opted the G2 because I think it's more durable than the Streamlight. The TLR-3 seems like it might be more breakable.

5. Optic: YMMV but I chose an Aimpoint T1 and for everyday use a Vortex Crossfire micro RDS. Either uses an American Defense quick detach mount appropriate for the T1. The only way I can see to save weight here is to use a skeletonized mount, like the one that comes with the Vortex, but I don't think you're saving that much weight. At some point I might try a Trijicon RMR in a tall mount, but I like the Aimpoint/Crossfire.

6. BUIS: Magpul folding MBUS. Polymer and adequately durable for a backup since I don't do the cowitness thing.

7. Magazines: The cherry on top is that I use USGI twenty round mags instead of thirty rounders.

8. Muzzle device: Your preference, but the Smith Enterprises Vortex G6A3 seemed to be just as light as the A2 hider but with better performance.

So that's it.

What's your lightweight KISS setup?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 03-13-19 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well mine's KISS but not necessarily light, more light-ish.. I built mine with the help of a gunsmith friend, here's my list:
    LMT stripped lower
    Colt LPK
    Geissele buffer tube, H2 buffer, super 42 spring
    Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel, this is were it stops getting light..
    Colt BCG
    BCM blem flat top stripped upper
    DD A1 rear sight
    Colt M4 buttstock
    Magpul SL handguard.
    Magpul MOE grip
    I do like the SOCOM barrel, accurate in my hands and the weight does help with recoil control. The LMT lower is a bit tight with older magpul magazines but not with the newer ones, GI or Lancer magazines. Got a KNS pinhead front sight and painted the little globe on top gold.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 03-13-19 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is mine. It comes in at 5 lbs. 14.7 ounces without magazine.

Upper Receiver:
    AERO PRECISION Stripped Upper Receiver
    Strike Industries Lightweight Forward Assist - Blk
    Strike Industries Enhanced Ultimate Dust Cover - Standard/Blk
    Strike Industries Charging Handle w/ Extended Latch - Blk
    LaRue Tactical 16" 5.56 PredatAR barrel (mid-length) w/ M4 Feedramps
    LaRue Tactical Low Profile Gas Block (.625") and Gas Tube
    SLR Rifleworks Synergy BCF 5.56 Mod 1
    SLR Rifleworks Helix 11.7" MLOK Handguard (HELIX-11.7ML)
    SLR Rifleworks M-LOK Handstop Mod 2 (HS-ML2)
    Battle Arms Development M16 Bolt Carrier Group - Black Nitride Finish (BAD-BCG-M16)
    MAGPUL MBUS PRO Front & Rear sights (Blk)
    HOLOSUN Paralow HS403A Red Dot Sight - 2 MOA

Lower Receiver:
    McKay Enterprises A2 Lower Receiver (stripped)
    Battle Arms Development BAD-EMMR Enhanced MODULAR Magazine Release - LG/Blk
    Battle Arms Development Sabretube (Mid)/QD Endplate/B.A.D.-BS Stock Combo
    Battle Arms Development Carbine buffer and Buffer Spring
    Battle Arms Development Enhanced Takedown & Pivot Pin Set
    Elftmann Tactical Ambidextrous Push-Button Speed Safety
    CMC LANTAC E-CT1 Single Stage Flat Trigger 3.5LB Release
    Forward Controls Design Augmented Bolt Catch/Release (ABC/R-F-BLK)
    TYRANT DESIGNS CNC Mod Grip (Medium Chevron Panels)
    CORE15 Trigger Guard
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    The only thing I don't like on that setup is the pistol grip. Isn't that open design incredibly uncomfortable?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    While I don't have a light mounted or the sling on in the pic, off the shelf. May not be classed as light weight but it's so close it doesn't matter. Usefulness is an important thing to consider and also keeping selection simple in regards to "off the shelf". Surefire Mini Scout and Proctor sling.

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    While I don't have a light mounted or the sling on in the pic, off the shelf. May not be classed as light weight but it's so close it doesn't matter. Usefulness is an important thing to consider and also keeping selection simple in regards to "off the shelf". Surefire Mini Scout and Proctor sling.

I have a few lighter weight setups, and one is quite similar.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    This isn’t the lightest thing i have, but it is the lightest non-pistol/SBR.

Colt 6920-OEM2
    D&S (Colt subcontract) stock
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Troy SOCC 12.5”
    DD A1.5 rear sight
    DD fixed front sight
    Proctor sling (just added)

That’s it. I came to the conclusion that that barrel is light enough (to me) for a basic, general purpose, free-floated carbine; anything lighter is a bonus, and if I go lighter profile, I’ll also go to 14.5”. Which is planned (Taran Tactical John Wick clone), once the house purchase is finished.
    I haven’t added an optic, as I also like the idea of have an irons-only, simple rifle.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    The only thing I don't like on that setup is the pistol grip. Isn't that open design incredibly uncomfortable?
    Not at all.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Me? Box-stock 6920 with carry handle sight.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    BCM: 14.5 pinned LW barrel with KMR rail, Magpul Pro front/rear sights, BCM Mod 4 CH, Aimpoint H1. Made for my wife a few years ago when the KMR rail was first introduced, she hasn't touched it since.

Maybe I'll take it out tomorrow.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast