Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight KISS Carbine

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    My light weight KISS is an M16A1 homage with a 1:7 twist barrel.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Good choice. I do the same thing in the 6720 flavor. Very lightweight--and it dawns on you when you're holding it that this light weight is what Gene Stoner intended for the original AR15.

As for my rifle in my first post, last night I was doing some tinkiering. I dug through the parts box to see what goodies I had unused. I ended up removing the MagPul MOE handguard, and installing a UTG Pro M-Lok drop-in carbine handguard. Same weight for the most part, but with more slots to mount stuff and it's gotta be more durable. I also am debating whether to put the KAC vertical foregrip instead of the TangoDown grip. That part I have not decided.
    UTG is barely better than airsoft quality parts. I would take the lowest priced magpul product over any UTG product everytime.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with those. I have several myself. The M16A1 weighs 6.5 lbs without a magazine or sling.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    UTG is barely better than airsoft quality parts. I would take the lowest priced magpul product over any UTG product everytime.
    As a historical fact, yes. I think the Pro Line might be different, i.e. better. This particular handguard is the UTG Pro line made in the USA. They are trying to make inroads into the quality AR components field. The one I installed is made from 6061-T6 Aluminum (as per Leapers' website).

It seems to be in good company on this list (although mine isn't the free-floated one they include):

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15-handguards/

A short mention here:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...tock-assembly/

UTG, typically known for their off-short inexpensive offerings, has been making a hard push into US Manufacturing. Their UTG PRO rails have been well received in both MLOK and Keymod profiles...
    This is not my particular handguard, but here's a review of the basic product line, and how it holds up:

Other than a screw that broke (partly due to installing with blue loctite), he seems to be mostly satisfied with it. Not that every neckbeard on Amazon.com or any of the accessory vendor websites can be believed, but the thing gets mostly positive reviews all over the net.

Some of the comments below the MrGunsngear video are positive, as well. It's important too that the M-Lok drop-in version does not use the same type of attachment that the keymod one uses in his video. I have not watched every YouTube video on the UTG Pro rails, but I've read a lot of reviews, mostly positive.

I know in the past UTG has made junk from solid Chinesium, but I've had one of the UTG Pro's installed on another carbine that's taken a few bumps and it seems to be holding up. Everything fit, no problem with soft metal in the screws, no issues with things being out of spec for the M-Lok accessories. The rail that came with it was difficult to install a "sliding" foregrip, but any accessory that clamps on was GTG. No, it isn't a KAC RAS, but for a decent budget handguard so far it's been "good enough." For about $75 I thought it was worth a look before I plunk down several hundred bucks on something "better". Time will tell. I would NOT buy one of the basic Chinese-made ANYTHING from UTG, but from what I've been reading they are trying to make some better stuff in the US-made Pro line. YMMV, but I already believe the M-Lok UTG Pro handguard is better than airsoft quality. It just feels like a quality piece (maybe not combat grade), and the fit of everything was just fine: no filing, misaligned screw holes, flexing required. (All those issues I've experienced with other handguards).

Bottom line: It may not be ideal, but I think the quality is sufficient that it will do until I can research and purchase a better alternative.

Just like a Vortex Crossfire ain't an Aimpoint but is functional, I'd say the same about the UTG Pro handguard.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 03-14-19 at 15:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    I view the 6720 as a "slutty 6920” without the stupid 16" gov profile barrel that puts useless extra weight in the dumbest place.
    You don’t know what makes my 6920 the whore that she is. I have run Steel case rancid cyrillic marked Soviet ammo through it with the only real upgrades being an LMT bolt and a FF KAC RAS.
    I mean it has shot ammo that would give an AK every STD plus cancer and still works.

Pencil barrels are “okay” but their blessing is their curse once it starts to heat up. You can even get a 14.5. I don’t like the whole M4 step because even if I had a 203; “The Man” says I cannot have White Phosphorus rounds because we live in such a free country.

Once it starts keyholing I will either get a Faxon or a Lilja Carbine barrel. Move the RAS to a CQBR barrel and use a URX of some kind. 3.1 if still available. Those larue KAC clone rails were great but I think discontinued.

If you gave some dude in 1969 a choice between a 6920 or a CAR15; he takes the 6920 all day.

Quit chasing the dragon. There are females who carry 6920s.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Next to Euro, JP, Docsherm, and 26inf, posts like these are why you are one of my favorite posters

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Pencil barrels are “okay” but their blessing is their curse once it starts to heat up. (snip)

Once it starts keyholing I will either get a Faxon or a Lilja Carbine barrel. Move the RAS to a CQBR barrel and use a URX of some kind. 3.1 if still available. Those larue KAC clone rails were great but I think discontinued.

If you gave some dude in 1969 a choice between a 6920 or a CAR15; he takes the 6920 all day.

Quit chasing the dragon. There are females who carry 6920s.
    How hot do you let yours get? I've never had trouble with a Colt 6720 getting so hot the accuracy degraded more than a little bit. Definitely never had one start keyholing. And I don't do mag dumps, either.

The pencil barrel was fine for what, twenty years?

I agree with this guy's assessment:

Last edited by Doc Safari; 03-14-19 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    How hot do you let yours get? I've never had trouble with a Colt 6720 getting so hot the accuracy degraded more than a little bit. Definitely never had one start keyholing. And I don't do mag dumps, either. Not that I'm a match shooter anyway but I have fired cheapo pencil-barrelled AR's that started to shoot like AK's once they got hot.
    I took my rifle to some training classes and it was a high volume round count for 80 hours worth of shooting. I saw two G36s and a Bushmaster literally say “F it” and die. Lug shearing, key coming off, you name it. And no way in hell were these guns run that hard prior.

A pencil would not have been a good fit.
    Like a LOOOOT of state ammo gone through. Never seen that many boxes of American Eagle in my life and this was almost a decade ago now.

Ranges from 400 to 25. Some steel targets as well. I wished Geiselles were a thing then as my finger got wore out.

Irons only too. They took away ACOGs, leupolds, aimpoints, etc. just a sling an a light because the instructor was a former Marine Sergeant Major who was just not a fan of people using optics on HIS course dammit. The only thing that kept the G36 dudes in the game was they had the pic rail sights and not the built in optic otherwise they would have had the joy of lugging a Colt HBAR 20” everywhere

They still did once their guns died on day 5

Good times

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A 6920 isn’t exactly an M240 y’all, just saying

Pissant sized 17 year olds jumped into Germany with heavier guns that held less ammo

I have an SP1 carbine that is light but I wouldn’t take it over my slutty 6920
    I’d love to have a SP1 with a 1/7 - 1/9 twist barrel, and might even choose one over a 6920.

Where can I buy this? Or the barrel assembly?

My lightweight KISS rifle lately is a mock disappator that is slowly becoming more 605-like.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...iron-sight-gun

I’ve been searching for a 1/7 twist 605-inspired barrel.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with those. I have several myself. The M16A1 weighs 6.5 lbs without a magazine or sling.
    I believe it weighs about the same as my 11.5" government profile barrel LMT/BCM/Geissele Federal pistol with CompM5 and M300 Scout does.

Next to Euro, JP, Docsherm, and 26inf, posts like these are why you are one of my favorite posters

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Where can I buy this? Or the barrel assembly?

My lightweight KISS rifle lately is a mock disappator that is slowly becoming more 605-like.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...iron-sight-gun

I’ve been searching for a 1/7 twist 605-inspired barrel.
    Barrel (out of stock): Link.
    Complete upper: Link.

Mine is a Brownell's XM16E1 lower that I assembled with a bunch of LMT parts left over from, "upgrading," my LMT lower (with Forward Controls Design parts - the LMT parts are the right color, even if they aren't perfectly accurate for a retro build), a Geissele trigger, and a Brownell's A1 pistol grip, stock, and buffer tube kit that I just slapped the complete BRN16A1 1:7 twist upper on.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast