Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.5" Irons

Feedback Score

14.5" Irons

Just completed a build last fall and playing with some DIY upgrades.
    20190313_083559_mod.jpg
    20190313_083641.jpg
    20190313_084112.jpg
    20190313_084015.jpg
    20190313_084132.jpg
    Total Weight: 6.8 lbs as shown complete, no mag empty chamber
    Sight Module: 17 oz fully assembled, 20.5" Sight Radius, A2/A4 Compatible

So far the rifle shoots great. With a 1-4X Bushnell AR Optic .75 MOA using Frontier 62 BTHP (5 shot), iron sights 1.25-1.5 MOA benched using 55 PMC Bronz (4 shot).
    The concept of the rail was to help point shoot quickly and align the sights as you gain a check weld, plus I just wanted to make it. It's built to use A2/A4 sight modules to allow for easy ranging. Durability, Time will tell with round count and slamming it on barricades.

Parts:
    Lower: Matrix 7075-t6 Forging
    Upper: Aero Precision
    Barrel: Faxon 14.5 Match Series Mid Length Gunner 223 Wylde 416-R
    Bolt Carrier Assembly: Faxon 556 FA
    Brake: Faxon 3 Port .620", pinned and welded
    Gas Block: Faxon .625 Lightweight
    Gas Tube: Brownells Melonite
    Hand guard: Foxtrot 15"
    Grip: Magpul MOE+
    Safety Lever: 60 Degree throw (friends castaway)
    Trigger: Trigger Tech Adjustable (2 Stage short reset, sub 3lbs total)
    Mag Release: Ambi Arms Unlimited
    Sights: DPMS Rear A2, Hi Viz front sight post
    Rail: 6061-T6 Type II Anodize, Sight Radius 20.5" (DIY)
    Trigger Guard: 6061-T6 type II Anodize (DIY)
    Stock: BCM Gunfighter
    Buffer: Carbine US made, CAR Buffer
    Grip Accessory: Strike Industries Link
    End Plate: Radiant Arms Titanium 7075-T6 QD

Faxon Barrels and Bolt Carrier Assemblies have been very impressive. assembled and tested 2 uppers both 223 wylde match series. 14.5 and 16 mid length using a CAR buffer and standard springs, Aero uppers. Barrels are a snug fit and bedded with lock tight and torqued to 40-45 ftlbs clamping the barrel not the receiver. This has yielded sub MOA groups with quality ammunition. The barrels do need 200-300 rounds for break in and favor mid weight bullets, haven't tried heavier than 62gr.

Tested with a Leopold VXR Patrol 3-10X, 5 shot groups
    Hornady Spire 55gr ~.75 MOA (within the 150-200 rounds in)
    Hornady Frontier 62gr BTHP ~.75 MOA (250-300 rounds in)
    PMC Bronze 55gr ~1-1.25 MOA

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scatter Eagle View Post
    Just completed a build last fall and playing with some DIY upgrades.
    20190313_083559_mod.jpg
    20190313_083641.jpg
    20190313_084112.jpg
    20190313_084015.jpg
    20190313_084132.jpg
    Total Weight: 6.8 lbs as shown complete, no mag empty chamber
    Sight Module: 17 oz fully assembled, 20.5" Sight Radius, A2/A4 Compatible

So far the rifle shoots great. With a 1-4X Bushnell AR Optic .75 MOA using Frontier 62 BTHP (5 shot), iron sights 1.25-1.5 MOA benched using 55 PMC Bronz (4 shot).
    The concept of the rail was to help point shoot quickly and align the sights as you gain a check weld, plus I just wanted to make it. It's built to use A2/A4 sight modules to allow for easy ranging. Durability, Time will tell with round count and slamming it on barricades.

Parts:
    Lower: Matrix 7075-t6 Forging
    Upper: Aero Precision
    Barrel: Faxon 14.5 Match Series Mid Length Gunner 223 Wylde 416-R
    Bolt Carrier Assembly: Faxon 556 FA
    Brake: Faxon 3 Port .620", pinned and welded
    Gas Block: Faxon .625 Lightweight
    Gas Tube: Brownells Melonite
    Hand guard: Foxtrot 15"
    Grip: Magpul MOE+
    Safety Lever: 60 Degree throw (friends castaway)
    Trigger: Trigger Tech Adjustable (2 Stage short reset, sub 3lbs total)
    Mag Release: Ambi Arms Unlimited
    Sights: DPMS Rear A2, Hi Viz front sight post
    Rail: 6061-T6 Type II Anodize, Sight Radius 20.5" (DIY)
    Trigger Guard: 6061-T6 type II Anodize (DIY)
    Stock: BCM Gunfighter
    Buffer: Carbine US made, CAR Buffer
    Grip Accessory: Strike Industries Link
    End Plate: Radiant Arms Titanium 7075-T6 QD

Faxon Barrels and Bolt Carrier Assemblies have been very impressive. assembled and tested 2 uppers both 223 wylde match series. 14.5 and 16 mid length using a CAR buffer and standard springs, Aero uppers. Barrels are a snug fit and bedded with lock tight and torqued to 40-45 ftlbs clamping the barrel not the receiver. This has yielded sub MOA groups with quality ammunition. The barrels do need 200-300 rounds for break in and favor mid weight bullets, haven't tried heavier than 62gr.

Tested with a Leopold VXR Patrol 3-10X, 5 shot groups
    Hornady Spire 55gr ~.75 MOA (within the 150-200 rounds in)
    Hornady Frontier 62gr BTHP ~.75 MOA (250-300 rounds in)
    PMC Bronze 55gr ~1-1.25 MOA
    Mother of God.....

What type of groups do you get without a scope? How much does that magnum carry handle add to practical accuracy?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Mother of God.....

What type of groups do you get without a scope? How much does that magnum carry handle add to practical accuracy?
    This is during sight in with the rail at 100yds in 20 degree weather
    20190127_150833.jpg
    Making wind and elevation corrections

20190127_150836.jpg
    1st 4 shot group without corrections. Closer to 1.75-2 MOA. I was squinting quite a bit and using a large sand bag FYI.

Practical accuracy, maybe 2-3 MOA without squinting and a bag. The Hi-Viz post is a bit on the wide side for paper.

I'll have to go to the range to get more photos. Pictures are proof.

20181228_162112.jpg

Feedback Score
    What is that thing supposed to be on the top of your gun? Looks like the aqueduct in Seattle. Can I stack two scopes on top of each other for rapid engagement?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    So, you basically have a rifle sight radius on a carbine? That’s pretty neat. Sort of like the dissapator concept taken to the next level with a free-floated barrel.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    It kinda looks like you're trying to make an AR into a G36. While I'm not ready to mont anything like that on my AR's, I still commend your skill with a CNC and at least having a vision for something and see it materialize by your own hands. I don't want to sit here and bash it, it's not my place to do that and whether or not it really improves capability or function, you at least envisioned something and you made it with your own two hands. (and CNC Machine). That's America boss.

Now about that trigger guard - you should make more of those trigger guards. I like the design and it looks very well finished. Good job on that.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    It kinda looks like you're trying to make an AR into a G36. While I'm not ready to mont anything like that on my AR's, I still commend your skill with a CNC and at least having a vision for something and see it materialize by your own hands. I don't want to sit here and bash it, it's not my place to do that and whether or not it really improves capability or function, you at least envisioned something and you made it with your own two hands. (and CNC Machine). That's America boss.

Now about that trigger guard - you should make more of those trigger guards. I like the design and it looks very well finished. Good job on that.
    It's a manual milling machine, Rail took 9 setups and the trigger guard 3, I would LOVE a CNC but you work with what you have.
    20190313_084138.jpg

Thanks for the comments on the rail and trigger guard. FYI look at COLT's ACR Entry in the 1980-1990's program. One feature was a sighting rib designed by the Human Engineering Labs and was not implemented; however, other features were including the flat top upper receivers for mounting optics. Technical report ARCCD-TR-92001. I know it's not for everyone, but something I wanted for kicks, and yes a red dot is probably better/more effective.

Shop Fox M1111 bench top milling machine.
    20181230_133521.jpg

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As soon as I saw this I thought, “Colt’s ACR submission had a rib.”
    .25 Lorcin w/ comp and red dot AIWB and a 9mm Calico folder as primary

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it's Aerodyne that has a cool iron sight set up that would put your front sight directly at the muzzle. I shoot irons as well and I have a dedicated iron sight gun with a flat top upper in case I change my mind. 14.5 Colt SOCOM barrel with front sight tower, Daniel Defense A1 rear, KNS "pin head" front sight post painted gold. Works for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I think it's Aerodyne that has a cool iron sight set up that would put your front sight directly at the muzzle. I shoot irons as well and I have a dedicated iron sight gun with a flat top upper in case I change my mind. 14.5 Colt SOCOM barrel with front sight tower, Daniel Defense A1 rear, KNS "pin head" front sight post painted gold. Works for me.
    Ultradyne is who you are speaking of, Battle Arms Development has another. Sounds like you have a fun rig. I currently have a KNS front sight post mounted with a reduced diameter post.

I took off the rail for some milling work, remounted and zeroed, a few interesting things happened. The upper, hand-guard, and sight rail are 3 separate pieces and by by tightening and applying pressure you can make adjustments in elevation (substantial) and it also happens if there is insufficient clamping pressure as your group will walk down (over 10moa). The sight in is a relative pain if you want the rail to shift to POI with the module centered on the ribs V-notch center. As far as a concept it works (Toni System has a version of a rib) but a pain to get right and rigid enough to make it worth while. Hypothetically two ways to get around this, integrate it into the hand-guard that extends to the top of the upper, second is have the sight post mounted to the barrels like you mentioned and free float it. Not that I've beaten on this thing at all, but hard use I fully expect to have problems. I'll use it for a minute then set it aside in my "project collection box" most likely.

For future note:
    -Rigidity: Just make it part of the hand-guard and a strong tie in with the upper
    -Rib Reflections: Prototype was scuffed before anodizing, sand blasting matte is much better (70-80 grit aluminum oxide at 40-50psi, used on some trigger guards to good effect)
    -Modular Optic System: MOS concept to mount a red dot etc.
    -Front Sight: Front sight post needs design work, barrel mounted or rigidity fix.
    -Rear Sight: A2/A4 modules work Well, better would be an A1 windage setup on an A2 elevation base

Thanks for the info and interest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast