Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New LaRue Tactical LAT handguard installed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    You called LT instead of ordering online, and didn't ask them any questions, and figured it was easier to open an account here to ask?

Odd first post, but welcome to the board anyway.
    I wasn’t concerned with the length at the time I was on the phone with them. But as I worked through assembling the upper, measuring and looking at pictures of the LAT I started to think about it. It appears that barrel nut/ hand guard nut is about 1/2” and that may be a game changer, not a deal breaker. I would call back today but Texas is closed on Sunday. So yea, I decided to ask here in an attempt to satisfy my curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by undert0e01 View Post
    Are the length of these hand guards measured from the back of the “hand guard nut” or the actual Picatinny rail length? I called Larue and they had a 12” in stock and decided to pull the trigger on it. I’m going to try to install it over an 11.5” barrel equipped with a Surefire ProComp. I’m worried the comp will be buried too far in the hand guard if the 12” measurement doesn’t include the mounting assembly.

If the whole thing is 12” I think that will put the ports on the comp just slightly forward of the leading edge of the hand guard. .

If it doesn’t work I guess I’ll have to build up a 12.5” and order another LAT in 11”.
    My LAT is 13.2" Measured from the front of the handguard, 13.2" falls right about the middle of the knurled locking collar. That pretty makes the handguard itself, 13.2". The 16" barrel, minus the FH, protrudes about 2 2/3" from the end of the handguard. This should mean that muzzle a 11.5" barrel should sit just about 1/2" or so just inside the handguard on a 12" LAT. The Surefire ProComp will protrude about 1" to maybe 1 1/2". I would contact the guys at LT to verify what LAT is appropriate for a 11.5" barrel.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wasn’t concerned with the length at the time I was on the phone with them. But as I worked through assembling the upper, measuring and looking at pictures of the LAT I started to think about it. It appears that barrel nut/ hand guard nut is about 1/2” and that may be a game changer, not a deal breaker. I would call back today but Texas is closed on Sunday. So yea, I decided to ask here in an attempt to satisfy my curiosity.

Another option might be to swap to a different comp, one similar to the KX3/ KX5, or Warden from Surefire if it would fit under the rail.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Another option might be to swap to a different comp, one similar to the KX3/ KX5, or Warden from Surefire if it would fit under the rail.
    If it doesn’t fit I’ll order an 11” to fit this build and put the 12”LAT on a different platform. Fingers crossed those ports are right at the edge. Everything should be here this week.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow, I had forgotten how massive of a gap there was with those rails.
    Between the upper and the handguard? Or the end of the rail and the end of this 18 and 20" barrels?

Shows why some are making 15 inchers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    If it doesn’t fit I’ll order an 11” to fit this build and put the 12”LAT on a different platform. Fingers crossed those ports are right at the edge. Everything should be here this week.

Please save your fingers by googling rails that have been blown out because they come too close to covering the compensator's ports. I'm in the same boat on a different build.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Please save your fingers by googling rails that have been blown out because they come too close to covering the compensator's ports. I'm in the same boat on a different build.
    Yea, I won’t be sinking the comp inside the hand guard. If the small circular holes on the ProComp clear the hand guard I’ll roll with it. If they are within the hand guard I won’t.

Feedback Score
    Anybody have a SA Adj Gas Block under one of these? FWIW, the clamp style if that makes a difference and will be going on a 6.5G, 11.5" Barrel - Technical Drawing:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09...G?v=1463422392
    Last edited by bob332; 05-03-20 at 00:37.

Feedback Score
    Anybody?

The link above is for the .875 clamp on SA gas block, but my question also goes for the .750 SA clamp on gas block - technical drawing - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09...G?v=1463422288

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob332 View Post
    Anybody?

The link above is for the .875 clamp on SA gas block, but my question also goes for the .750 SA clamp on gas block - technical drawing - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09...G?v=1463422288
    I don't have this rail but I did do a look around to see if I could find some specs for you. I strongly suggest calling LaRue to double-check.

I think you're going to be cutting it close. On TOS, one user reported that the ID is about 1.45".
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry...291501/&page=2

Why use a clamp-on gas block?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast