Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Question: When Does a Pistol Caliber Become a Rifle Caliber?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Such bullshit.. I can’t even believe you fell for that crap.
    If you are going to necro a thread, you should at least add something to the discussion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    If you are going to necro a thread, you should at least add something to the discussion.
    Ok I will. You posted some BS. Nobody is getting a 22cal to 7,000fps. That is a straight up lie.

What I will add is that a pistol caliber will not be a rifle. The velocity just isn’t there. 2200fps is the line where a temporary cavity becomes a permanent one. Rifles do that. Pistols calibers generally don’t.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Ok I will. You posted some BS. Nobody is getting a 22cal to 7,000fps. That is a straight up lie.

What I will add is that a pistol caliber will not be a rifle. The velocity just isn’t there. 2200fps is the line where a temporary cavity becomes a permanent one. Rifles do that. Pistols calibers generally don’t.
    I was going by memory. It was in excess of 6000fps. I cant find the exact quote im thinking of, but I think its the same study he references here. https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-8522.html

Assuming “pistol becomes rifle” means at what velocity does a tc become significant, there is no defined line to the tc threshold, there are a lot if variables including surface area, projectile shape, size, weight, and the tissue involved.

Also see https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ity-quot/page2

Edit: study here: https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Fa...tile_shape.pdf
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-18-19 at 12:12.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by indianalex01; 10-20-19 at 16:17.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Generally speaking the permanent cavity threshold is 2200 FPS. Federal Ammunition LE goes by this velocity when training Law enforcement in ballistics.

I read the thread you posted and I never mentioned the 6000 FPS you said it did. Bro, you should make sure you can back up a post if you are going to say that. It makes you look foolish
    Read the study he linked.

Feedback Score
    Generally speaking the permanent cavity threshold is 2200 FPS. Federal Ammunition LE goes by this velocity when training Law enforcement in ballistics.

I read the thread you posted and I never mentioned the 6000 FPS you said it did. Bro, you should make sure you can back up a post if you are going to say that. It makes you look foolish
    1. “Generally speaking” means not always, and contradicts your statement that “2200fps is the line.” Generally speaking is more accurate (because its a number in the range, so it will be correct with something), but less precise, so you really have not added anything valuable to the discussion.

2. So I have 2 options- Ill go professional with you this time:

Its there.
    Clear as crystal.

If you want to look good, only call people out when you are 100% you are correct, because the opposite is devastating for your reputation. If not, it usually ends in hypocrisy, like this case you’ve provided.

Please find the below in that first link:
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-18-19 at 17:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    FYI, this particular thread doesn't concern terminal ballistics in living creatures.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    FYI, this particular thread doesn't concern terminal ballistics in living creatures.
    Go on...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It seems I confused a hypothetical scenario with the actual purpose of the thread. I also still stand behind my initial post.

Feel free to resume your "discussion".
    Last edited by grizzman; 10-18-19 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=MegademiC;2777267]1. “Generally speaking” means not always, and contradicts your statement that “2200fps is the line.” Generally speaking is more accurate (because its a number in the range, so it will be correct with something), but less precise, so you really have not added anything valuable to the discussion.

Deleted
    Last edited by indianalex01; 10-20-19 at 16:18.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast