Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Marlin 1894 Issues

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

New Marlin 1894 Issues

So, my wife bought me a new Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag, really a pretty gun. I had my eyes on a Henry, mainly because of the QC issues at Marlin, but was happy to receive the gift.

We took it to the range, and it would not feed. Jammed every time I tried to get a round in the chamber.

Brought it back to the store, they said it just doesn't like Magtech brass, feed it something else instead. He fired 9 rounds of some different brand through it to prove it fires. So, I buy snapcaps for it, and it feeds 3/4 rounds consistently. Doesn't matter if I cycle it slow and smooth or fast and hard.

I have yet to fire this thing. The dealer, Scheels, may take it back, thats still up in the air. I would really rather not to have to send this in to Marlin and hope it comes back fixed.

Is this just common now with Marlins?

Should I take it back and trade it in for a Henry?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is not typical. My newish 1894 has fed Hornady, Remington, Winchester factory as well as various handloads with zero issues. There is no reason for it to be factory ammo sensitive.

The loading gate is stiff with those stubby cartridges, but once they are in the tube mag everything functions fine. Slow or fast fire.

I would exchange for another one to try out, or get a refund.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    I have had feeding issues with mine as well but they are intermittent. It only does it with .44 mag, .44 special feeds just fine. Mine may be more of an extraction issue...I end up with a spent shell in the receiver and a fresh one on the elevator at the same time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Did you buy .44 Magnum or .44 Special ammunition and Snap Caps?

Lever action rifles made to shoot two cartridges, i.e. .38 Special/.357 Magnum or .44 Special/.44 Magnum are usually ammunition sensitive. You have to find the cartridge with the right C.O.L. and bullet profile that your lever action likes.

I own a .38 Special/.357 Magnum lever action that will feed some .38 Special cartridges and won't feed most others. All .357 Magnum ammunition and my light reloads using .357 Magnum brass feed like a champ.

When cycling the action of a lever action rifle, the lever should be operated with authority. Trying to slowly cycle the lever will often result in a feeding problem.

Let us know what you have to do to get this sorted out.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I took it back to Scheels today. It was a pretty rifle, but mechanically was very rough. The trigger was appallingly bad, and flopped side to side/front to back. Cycling the action was also a gritty movement, no smoothness. Rounds would fail to chamber often, and sometimes the rifle would eject two rounds leaving an empty chamber. Long story short, I traded it in for a Henry Big Boy. The Henry is finished beautifully, and is mechanically excellent. Snap caps cycle smoothly, no matter the speed of working the Lever. If it shoots as well as it's made, I'll be very happy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congrats! Nice to end up with a rifle that you will enjoy for numerous years to come. I have the most basic Henry H001 .22LR and even it is well built and smooth operating.

I enjoy my Marlin 1894 but like you I would not put up with such rough machining and assembly.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My experience with levers is they should feed no matter what speed lever is worked.
    Also- have read/heard for a long time now about the "Marlin Jam" as its called. Has been a recognized problem for awhile, especially since Freedom Group took over in/about 2007. Ive had Marlins & used other levers decades ago- and when/if semi's are ever banned here, Ill not feel a bit undergunned with a smooth lever...im waiting for Henry to produce a side loading 10 round .44 Magnum...Ill be on it like a duck on a June bug.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Edit: double post.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone besides Marlin make a side loading LA?
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
    Does anyone besides Marlin make a side loading LA?
    Winchester, Chiappa, Rossi, Mossberg, Uberti, etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast