Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Marlin 1894 Issues

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I won't be able to make it to the range til later in the week. But, I did cycle a few different brands of 44mag through it today, including the Magtech brass. No issues, hangups, or hiccups whatsoever.

The buckhorn sight, however, is atrocious and needs to be replaced with a nice receiver mounted sight of some sort.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think you'll be very happy with the Big Boy. I have one in 45LC and it's been excellent.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Henry Big Boy should prove to be more accurate than the Marlin with most loads. If I were in the market for a new lever action, it would be a Henry Big Boy Steel.

Skinner sights makes a good receiver mounted peep sight for the Henry.
    Last edited by T2C; 03-18-19 at 21:14.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
    i just got a 1894 in 44 SBL. Really wanted to pair it with my 1895 SBL. I encountered the same issues. Failure to feed, and hang ups. I worked the lever on the couch for a few days and no dice yet. I'll keep at it, but so far disappointed.
    I'm sorry to hear about that! Are you using snap caps? I found it started to run a little better when I started cycling the snap caps through it. My hand and especially loading thumb was crazy sore...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Google "Marlin Jam".
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Google "Marlin Jam".

That will produce a lot of threads to read, so be prepared to spend a while reading.

Here is a useful article on what it takes to cure the "Marlin Jam." http://www.ktgunsmith.com/marlinjam.htm
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I just picked up a new 1894 .38/357 a couple weeks ago from Grabagun. I was surprised how nice the action is. So far no hiccups.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    I just picked up a new 1894 .38/357 a couple weeks ago from Grabagun. I was surprised how nice the action is. So far no hiccups.

That's a nice looking rifle. Let us know how it shoots lead reloads.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm glad I bought a bunch of JM Marlins 20 years ago. All mine run like tops....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A lot of times on a new 1894, the problem is when the lifter is coming up and the bolt is moving forward the round gets caught on the bottom of the extractor when the when is going between the bolt face and extractor. Ycle it slow and you will see it. Radius the bottom of the extractor a little kinda like fitting an extractor on a 1911.

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast