Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a 40~55gr AR-15 upper - where, who, how much ...?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Need a 40~55gr AR-15 upper - where, who, how much ...?

I need a rack grade AR-15 upper that will handle LIGHTWEIGHT .223 loads. I will be shooting a lot of 40gr ammunition and WILL NOT go over 55gr with this upper. Cheap and lightweight are the primary-desirements! Bullet disintegration in flight is not acceptable so, no 1x9's or faster!

Accuracy needs to be 'minute of dog' (not praire dog, think agreesive 'pet') at ~50yards so, I'm thinking something along the lines of a classic M-16A1 upper. A 16" upper would be fine, slightly preferred for handling but, a classic 20" would be a good choice too.

Classic A1 sights are fine but, a flot top upper is slighly preferred. Low purchase price is a primary driver after barrel twist assuming it is a reliable shooter.

What's out there as an attractive option?

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I need a rack grade AR-15 upper that will handle LIGHTWEIGHT .223 loads. I will be shooting a lot of 40gr ammunition and WILL NOT go over 55gr with this upper. Cheap and lightweight are the primary-desirements! Bullet disintegration in flight is not acceptable so, no 1x9's or faster!

Accuracy needs to be 'minute of dog' (not praire dog, think agreesive 'pet') at ~50yards so, I'm thinking something along the lines of a classic M-16A1 upper. A 16" upper would be fine, slightly preferred for handling but, a classic 20" would be a good choice too.

Classic A1 sights are fine but, a flot top upper is slighly preferred. Low purchase price is a primary driver after barrel twist assuming it is a reliable shooter.

What's out there as an attractive option?

TIA,
    Sid
    Sid,

Take a look at these. With the ammo you will be using, a 1/9 twist barrel will be the ticket.

16" lightweight
    https://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel...y_p/dt1035.htm

20" lightweight (currently Out of Stock)
    https://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel...y_p/dt1034.htm
    Last edited by Renegade04; 03-18-19 at 17:01.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Will a 1x9 really work with a 40gr load?

Feedback Score
    Yes. As long as you aren’t shooting 22hornet bullets, you shouldn’t have any problems with any twist rate.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Brownell's is selling 1/12 barrels and I think uppers, I think 1/9 might be iffy for 40 grain.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Brownell's is selling 1/12 barrels and I think uppers, I think 1/9 might be iffy for 40 grain.
    I spoke with an Air Force reserve service member who works with the marksmanship and training unit. He said I needed to stay with 1x12 to avoid bullet separation issues, especially with a suppressor. Too many 'varmint' bullets don't have the structural integrity to stay together in the faster twists in his experience. While I don't plan on shooting this suppressed, I still don't want to worry about midair disintegration as I need the 'payload' hit home with some authority (looking for higher velocity at close range).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I spoke with an Air Force reserve service member who works with the marksmanship and training unit. He said I needed to stay with 1x12 to avoid bullet separation issues, especially with a suppressor. Too many 'varmint' bullets don't have the structural integrity to stay together in the faster twists in his experience. While I don't plan on shooting this suppressed, I still don't want to worry about midair disintegration as I need the 'payload' hit home with some authority (looking for higher velocity at close range).
    FYI, 1/9 will handle 40gr.-55 gr. ammo, but a 1/12 may stabilize it a bit better. You can always go old school and get one of these if you want a 1/12.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod123697.aspx

or one of these.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod123699.aspx
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can get 1/12 twist barrels easily because of retro builders. Green Mountain even has a 1/14 twist. But I wouldn't bother too much unless you just want to build this. I've shot a bunch of 36gr Barnes and 50gr HDY in multiple 1/7 twist barrels, none came apart. Accuracy was great with both and I have no concerns shooting them through my silencer. I suspect the number of people who talk about bullets coming apart from twist far exceeds the number who have actually seen it.

If you have an AR but are just worried about the twist, I'd find a 50-55gr varmint load that shoots well in it and then not worry about it.

If this is going to be your first/only AR, 1/12 twist really limits the the defensive loads you can use. I would consider 1/9 if it makes you feel better.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I think it's pretty hard to drive a bullet that fast in a .223/5.56. You may be able to run light bullets fast enough in a .224 Valkarie to come apart, but why run light bullets in one anyway?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-19-19 at 07:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post

If this is going to be your first/only AR, 1/12 twist really limits the the defensive loads you can use. I would consider 1/9 if it makes you feel better.
    I shoot feral hogs with a 6.8SPC, and a 6.5Grendel and 300BO for fun. I also have an AR-10 so, defensive loads are not a concern. My AR-15 is 1/7.

I have played with 77gr loads in my AR-15 and for me, they don't offer anything special for where and how I shoot. I just don't see the benefits of 1/7 barrel for my AR-15 with the more common 55/62gr loads I use. If I was competing with heavy match loads or shooting tracers, then maybe my 1/7 barrel would make more sense for my shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast