Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a 40~55gr AR-15 upper - where, who, how much ...?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I think it's pretty hard to drive a bullet that fast in a .223/5.56. You may be able to run light bullets fast enough in a .224 Valkarie to come apart, but why run light bullets in one anyway?

Andy
    I want a big 'compression wave' in the dogs that are attacking me and my property that turns their insides into JELLO. I also want something that will break up more easily if I miss and hit a rock buried in my 'backstop'. Lighter bullets will also carry less energy downrange in the unlikely event one of them leaves my property.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I shoot feral hogs with a 6.8SPC, and a 6.5Grendel and 300BO for fun. I also have an AR-10 so, defensive loads are not a concern. My AR-15 is 1/7.

I have played with 77gr loads in my AR-15 and for me, they don't offer anything special for where and how I shoot. I just don't see the benefits of 1/7 barrel for my AR-15 with the more common 55/62gr loads I use. If I was competing with heavy match loads or shooting tracers, then maybe my 1/7 barrel would make more sense for my shooting.
    All of my .223/5.56 ARs are 1 in 7 except for one Compass Lake barrel which is a 1 in 8 (I think technically 1 in 7.7). They shoot a wide range of bullet weights well. I have shot a few rounds of the 50gr Vmax from a Remington model 7, which I believe is a 1 in 9. The rifle belonged to a friend I used to visit in Texas to hog hunt with. It was a good shooting rifle and load as best I can remember.
    Last edited by dperdue; 03-19-19 at 15:12. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If a custom 224 Valkyrie slow twist for varmint bullets floats your boat I say go for it. I can't say I've never thought of it...

Back to 223. If your common 55-62gr includes green tip then you should not go as low as 1/12, you should get a 1/9.

If you have been told your 1/7 is "over spinning" your 55-62gr bullets and reducing your accuracy, I have not found this in testing. I worked in manufacturing barrels and have tested AR barrels with lots of different ammo.

I recommend you try some 50-55gr varmint ammo in your current rifle. 52gr BH blue box has been a consistently good performer for the price. Unless you just want a good reason to build another, there is nothing wrong with a 1/12 barrel for 55gr and lighter.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I want a big 'compression wave' in the dogs that are attacking me and my property that turns their insides into JELLO. I also want something that will break up more easily if I miss and hit a rock buried in my 'backstop'. Lighter bullets will also carry less energy downrange in the unlikely event one of them leaves my property.
    Yeah what I was saying was not clear I mean I don't think anyone would run a light bullet in the Valkarie I understand why the light bullet in in 223 / 556.

Feedback Score
    1/12-1/9 will be perfect for light skinned 40-50 gr vmax loads.
    You have your other bases covered with the 1/7- sounds like you are on the right path for a niche purpose.

Honestly- Id use 50-60gr vmax for dogs- good penetration/cavitation balance for frontal and side shots.
    1-8/9 would be good, 1/12 will work, but i think a good barrel in 1/9-1/8 will be easier to find.

What is your accuracy requirement at what range?

Feedback Score
    Before I started hunting with AR’s I hunted coyotes with Remington 700, 22-250 I had rebarreled with a 26” 1 in 8 twist. 40 grain vmax and Nosler ballistic tip bullets held together @ 3900 FPS. I don’t think you can drive them faster than that out of an AR. I tried using Barnes varmint grenades and the Hornady 35 grain Hornet bullets and some of those came apart at the same velocities.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I have shot a lot of coyotes/feral dogs. I would lean more towards the 60-70 grain hunting loads offered at normal 556 velocity. If your worried about over penetration or ricochet, then it may not be a safe shot regardless of load choice.
    Since .223 is legal for deer hunting in so many states now, there are fantastic loads offered that are very lethal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to try a 1x9 and see how it goes. We all have different needs and purposes so, while I may not agree with everything said for my PERSONAL uses, I can see how it is appropriate for many others.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    ... If your worried about over penetration or ricochet, then it may not be a safe shot regardless of load choice...
    Maybe over cautious but, unlike others around me who shoot into the air to scare dogs away, I am pretty strict about the shots I take and pass up many others would take. YMMV
    Last edited by Sid Post; 03-24-19 at 18:13.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12