Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SOS - Cannot find IMR 8208 XBR Anywhere for the "Onyx/Markm special"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The milder the primer the better with extruded powders... at least for low SDs. If you're wanting to maximize velocities, Federal primers are the answer. Those Fed AR Match primers goosed our loads like 40-60 fps all else equal if I remember correctly.
    How do CCI #41 primers do?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Interesting...I'd like to try this load next time I have time to get to the range. Do you use Mil cases and some kind of SR-M primer?
    Yep just standard LC/FC cases. No fancy case prep. The nice thing about this load is that it seems to work well in temp extremes. No flattened primers during long shot strings in the summer, runs well with suppressor, and also is hot enough to run in subzero temps.

I mostly run CCI-450 primers, but I have shot CCI-400's as well with no ill effects. They are available and reliable.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks to all the help and posts and offers of assistance.

I found a remote LGS that had exactly one pound in stock which is enough to get me through the next match (I only need 200 rounds) I will snag up an 8lb jug shortly.

It's the only load I've ever ran in my SPR, and I'm very happy with it. It shoots about 1/3 the size groups that factory Black Hills TMK loads run through the same gun on the same day with the same shooter at 600 yards. It really emphasizes why handloading is so beneficial.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    Yep just standard LC/FC cases. No fancy case prep. The nice thing about this load is that it seems to work well in temp extremes. No flattened primers during long shot strings in the summer, runs well with suppressor, and also is hot enough to run in subzero temps.

I mostly run CCI-450 primers, but I have shot CCI-400's as well with no ill effects. They are available and reliable.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    How do CCI #41 primers do?
    I've not tried them. I run CCI 400s for 62 gr HPBT which seem decent.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I found a remote LGS that had exactly one pound in stock which is enough to get me through the next match (I only need 200 rounds) I will snag up an 8lb jug shortly.
    Do you load a test batch with a new lot? I used to think that was pretentious B.S. But I've learned first hand with three different powders that lot swings can be huge.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also used to scoff at the thought of testing each powder lot... But now I think it is a good idea too, had some similar issues with Varget and H4895.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    I also used to scoff at the thought of testing each powder lot... But now I think it is a good idea too, had some similar issues with Varget and H4895.
    On a hot load, it's critical. We were blowing primers out with XBR after a lot change.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123