Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practical Use of Barrier Stops

Feedback Score
    I thought these were more for PRS. I guess 3G too. I might use it for hunting. Tactical use? I'm no cop, but I can't see it for anything where you don't want to be seen.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I'm cancelling my order.

Feedback Score
    I use Pat McNamara's Sling Ding as a way to help stabilize the rifle when shooting around barrier/cover. I like it, as it also helps with stand-off, too, so say if you're shooting across the hood of a car, you won't accidentally shoot the car...
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Some guys like them, some guys don't.
    It's a refinement/evolution of previous designs that held a spot within certain applications.
    We made it do what was asked for: positively grip a surface even when angled up/down and left/right.
    And we put a QD cup in it.
    These are pretty common item types in PRS and DMR type competitions, but not as much when in events/stages that allow positional bags unless the stage furniture doesn't work well with such bag. In the end, in that environment, you're only limited by what you have at the stage, and a barricade stop is always there.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Some guys like them, some guys don't.
    It's a refinement/evolution of previous designs that held a spot within certain applications.
    We made it do what was asked for: positively grip a surface even when angled up/down and left/right.
    And we put a QD cup in it.
    These are pretty common item types in PRS and DMR type competitions, but not as much when in events/stages that allow positional bags.
    Thanks Jack, I've actually been meaning to ask you about your thoughts on bipod deployment. Do you think that bipods are unnecessary weight for all squad members besides a machine gunner? I remember you mentioning in a previous post that the Army's decision to equip their HK DMR guys with bipods was overkill because of the dynamic nature of all squad members. Does that mean that you would never want to see guys running regular carbines using a bipod either? Are they best for dedicated snipers and MGs only?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Possible secondary use as a bottle opener?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I carry a rifle at work/deploy with one for call outs. I don't use one, and I can't think of anyone on our team that does. I just haven't had the need for it. Between a light, a peq and pressure pads I have enough going on out front of my rifle already, so they just arent for me.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Utimately boils down to the weight/snag issues vs how often you'll use it balanced with how effectively it will tighten your groups.

Your mission, your decision. Worst case scenario is to try it out and do some measurable testing of skills you already practice and see if your times decrease or your accuracy increases.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    Thanks Jack, I've actually been meaning to ask you about your thoughts on bipod deployment. Do you think that bipods are unnecessary weight for all squad members besides a machine gunner? I remember you mentioning in a previous post that the Army's decision to equip their HK DMR guys with bipods was overkill because of the dynamic nature of all squad members. Does that mean that you would never want to see guys running regular carbines using a bipod either? Are they best for dedicated snipers and MGs only?
    Bipods are a double edged sword. Really good when you don't have anything else, but minimally useful in environments where there is a lot of other stuff, and where you can use other carried items to build a better position. They are also a bit snaggy, especially on a short-ish gun when working in tight confines. Take this thread as an example; of 29 responses so far regarding a barricade stop, at least 11 are critical of it snagging, and it's only about 1.5" exposed from the handguard, and way behind the muzzle; bipods are far more obtrusive than that, even in a stowed configuration.

It really isn't a matter of associating a piece of equipment to success or failure, I simply want users to be educated and trained to a sufficient level to match their needs/mission with the gear available. Sometimes I use a bipod, sometimes I use a bag, sometimes I use handguard contact, sometimes I use a tripod... etc, etc,; none of them are right all the time, and they aren't all applicable to any specific condition. But I know what makes sense for the positional situation I am working in, because I have done it a lot with a required high level of successful result. Just giving a kid a bipod to stick to his gun isn't the answer.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast